Neobarrettia spinosa (Ginat Texas Katydid) MEGA video post

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Posted this one previously but the rest are all new. Enjoy!

She's big. She's mean. She's green! Neobarrettia spinosa, or greater arid-land katydid, aka "Red-eyed Devil" is a really large omnivorous katydid. They hunt insects but also eat fruit and veggies. They're really good jumpers and their feet will stick to anything.

Soundtracks by Precarious

Adult male Neobarrettia spinosa (Giant Texas Katydid) chirps his song, cleans and show his threat display. We also get a good look at how his body expands with each breath with closeups of his spiracles.

Soundtracks by Precarious

How does one breed these exactly. It seems like they would tear each other apart!

How does one breed these exactly. It seems like they would tear each other apart!
I believe it would be the same as some mantis like Chinese, they need to be very well fed first?

Nice documentation! You and Kiet have YouTube blown up with these guy's(Ha-ha)but that's a good thing! :)

Wow! Really cool! I didn't realize how well they can climb up surfaces. I have been nailed by similiar katydids down in South America. I remember cupping one in my hands and it got scared and flicked it's legs which was enough to pierce the surface of my skin and draw a little blood. Amazing little creatures. Nice videos Henry and Kitkat. :)

Amazing!!! I love Neobarrettia spinosa. They're the coolest! But what do you do if she decides to take a bite?

Last edited by a moderator:
You've captured some nice behaviors. Have you seen yours mate? Does the female eat the male like mantises often do?

My three pink katydids all live together. I've never seen them mating but have seen signs that they did mate during the night. If I wake up during the night, I sometimes get up and check to see what they are doing.

But what do you do if she decides to take a bite?
Both have nibbled at my hand. You just have to watch out for it and stop them. They don't just start eating you. They'll take a test nibble which isn't a big deal. Doesn't even break skin because you react and they stop. I imagine those mandible could easily cut through human flesh but there is no way you would sit still and allow it to happen.

You've captured some nice behaviors. Have you seen yours mate? Does the female eat the male like mantises often do?
I never saw mine mate but the females probably don't mate if they've already been mated. I'm pretty sure my female was mated before she came to me.

I hope you have substrate for your female to lay in and are collecting the ova. I can give you some tips on that.

I gotta get me one. So fugly but cool at the same time. Haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Really cool! I didn't realize how well they can climb up surfaces. I have been nailed by similiar katydids down in South America. I remember cupping one in my hands and it got scared and flicked it's legs which was enough to pierce the surface of my skin and draw a little blood. Amazing little creatures. Nice videos Henry and Kitkat. :)
Haha.. thanks, but I believe that Precarious is on a much higher level of video making. ;-)

Latest posts