Neobarrettia spinosa (Red - Eyed Spiney Katydid) EGGS!!!!!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT

Reaction score
:D :D :D :D i've got red eyed katydid eggs! the pair were left together for a month, kept at a hot, dry 85-90F and fed copious amounts of crickets. they male sang, the male died, the female laid eggs! i never witnessed any "mating" just the male chirping all night and most of the day.( loud enough to hear on the 1st floor with them in the basement) now for success hatching them. wish me luck folks( cause you know if they all hatch that means baby monsters for sale :twisted: )

Wait. Katydids are carnivorous? The ones at my friend's house eats the leaves off her orange tree. Are they omnivores?

these guys are strict carnivores. big and mean. green body, bright red eyes, spines on their legs. they bite really hard and can draw blood (from what i've heard) they are native to the US, from Arizona. a desert species.

as far as eating each other i believe the younger ones do , but the male female pair never bothered each other. as for catching prey, they jump on it and pin it down or gab it kinda clumsily with their front legs . that's what all the spikes are for.Orin has an article on them in a back issue of invertebrates magazine, i'm sure he could hook you guys up with a copy.

Yeah i was about 15 of them in my bushes a month ago
Look up this katydid. It looks nothing like any katydid you've ever seen. It would eat the 15 in your bushes in one sitting and dozen mantids on the side.