New at keeping a mantis.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Mantis egg. When they hatch, can they fly?

can newly hatched mantises (like after 5 minutes or sumthing) eat small crickets? like baby ones. i dont wanna buy wingless fruit flys online...

Only adults can fly. And nymphs usually dont start eating for a day or two. Pinheads will work but FF are best bet. Do you have a Petco They sell them there

No they cannot fly. Depending on the species, they may be able to handle micro crickets. I highly suggest fruitflies, as crickets can (and will if able) kill and eat the mantis. Seperate them after they molt once or twice, and mist the cage about twice a week. Make sure you have alot of braches and areas for the nymphs (baby mantids) to perch. But not too much space as the nymphs might not find the food. If for some reason, your nymphs start refusing to eat, it's probably a sign that they will molt, take all food that's still alive, out of the enclosure, as they can harm or kill the vulnerable mantid. Oh, don't feed the mantids until about a day after they hatch. Good luck B)

P.S.it would help if you found the species of the mantids. :)

Welcome to the site. Please introduce yourself in the introductions forum.

Try searching for the answers to your questions as they have all been answered before.

ok thanks rick =) my future mantises are the giant asian praying mantises. so do you think they will be good enough to battle small crickets after a few days of their hatching?

ok thanks rick =) my future mantises are the giant asian praying mantises. so do you think they will be good enough to battle small crickets after a few days of their hatching?
These nymphs are pretty good sized and they should be able to take the smallest pinhead crickets. I suggest fruit flies though.

Latest posts