New babies :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msteacher

Reaction score
Got 8 new mantid babies today from @MantisGirl13  They arrived happy but hungry and immediately chowed down on fruit flies.

tank1.jpg

babies eating.jpg

Absolutely beautiful! I love them! What are they? Are they going to stay dark like that?
Not my post, but they look like Ghost Mantis, Phyllocrania Paradoxa. They vary in color morphs from greenish, to brown, red, and black. Young nymphs are dark in color. At L1, they are ant mimics. 

Adorable! Congrats on the new additions

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my post, but they look like Ghost Mantis, Phyllocrania Paradoxa. They vary in color morphs from greenish, to brown, red, and black. Young nymphs are dark in color. At L1, they are ant mimics. 

Adorable! Congrats on the new additions
That is so cool! Mimic insects are awesome!

Thanks Graceface, and yep as others stated they are ghost mantids and they are very similar to ants lol. That's the first thing my dad said when he saw them, he asked if I was sure I got mantids and not ants. I'll bring you one when they're bigger if you want one @Allthingsterrarium . I have to separate them when they get bigger anyway so they don't eat one another. For now, they seem to be getting along just fine though. Two of the babies have already claimed flower pedals and are chasing the others away from their space :)  

I have to separate them when they get bigger anyway so they don't eat one another. For now, they seem to be getting along just fine though.
Ghosts are communal, and you can keep them together for most of their lives. The general consensus I've read is to separate them at adult to be safe, as the females can get a little more aggressive then. You should be fine to keep them together as long as they have enough space and food ?

Thanks Graceface, and yep as others stated they are ghost mantids and they are very similar to ants lol. That's the first thing my dad said when he saw them, he asked if I was sure I got mantids and not ants. I'll bring you one when they're bigger if you want one @Allthingsterrarium . I have to separate them when they get bigger anyway so they don't eat one another. For now, they seem to be getting along just fine though. Two of the babies have already claimed flower pedals and are chasing the others away from their space :)  
Thanks Msteacher but I've got a lot of animals to care for right now and even though I like the ghost mantis it isn't really a species that grabs my interest at the moment. They are amazing though and I can't wait to see more of them as they mature! I like the sound of them being communal and if they can get along one day that will be really great to see! It sounds like they have nice personalities already!

It is wise to separate them at pre-sub or sub adult to reduce the possibility of cannibalism.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts