new cage

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engraver30

Reaction score
Well I have been busy working a ton of crazy hours and not had too much time to play but here is my newest creation. I took a suggestion from Yen and came up with this design. It has an opening on the side rather than on on the top. Let me know what you think.

Right now, I am only making a few cages for my own personal use and my current employeer does not mind, but if I decide to start making cages for other people, that is a different story. I am trying to negotiate some prices for material and machine time with him right now. I am sure that I will be able to work out something with them but it might take a week or so. Things move very slow where I work. Anyway, this gives me more time to work out any problems in the design of the cage and to get any more suggestions from all of you good people.

Well here are a couple new pic. Let me know what you think

Thanks

Tony
cageopenmiddle.jpg
cageopenmiddle1.jpg

I like the idea of door on the side, because they are always clinging to the top. And it looks like a well made, well ventilate, good cage. :)

I do have on question though: why did you guys decide to make the door opens from the bottom? I think I might personally prefer being able to lay the door down on the table while the cage is open. And while putting things in the cage, not having to support the door with my elbow. Maybe that is just me though.

Good job! :D

I think the reason Engraver decided to use the door from bottom to take advantage of gravity (to keep the door close) without additional locking device.

That's impressive!!! I wonder how snug the door can be because I think it would be great if the door hinge can be on the side.

I really do appreciate all of the comments. I am trying make the perfect mantid cage and I cannot think of anywhere better to get feedback about them from.

As for the door, I did have the door open that way to take advantage of gravity. If you look closely, you will not see any traditional hinges. There are two holes on either side of the door and the door itself has two pins on the side that fit into the holes.

When I designed the cage, I built a hinge into its design to save on the cost of buying acrylic hinges. I can add acrylic hinges and locks to any cage I make, but it adds more money into the final product and I am trying to make these cages very afforidable.

Well thanks again for the comments, mabay I will play with the design again and see what I can come up with.

Engraver, is there a way to stabilize the door whence it's open? Does it rest silhouette to the side wall when opened all the way? It would seem from just looking that you have to hold it open with one hand while you jimmy around with the other inside the cage. Perhaps a small hook could fix this problem, or a little stand to hold the door open? A little hook on the top to grasp onto the handle of the side door?

:shock: Other than needing something to help keep the door open, I see no problem. Put a large stick in, some spagnum moss, a large mantis, and some food, and it works fine. :D

Doesn't everyone have three arms. One to hold the door open and the other two to feed and clean the mantids

OK, I see the design flaw and I appreciate the input. I will post a new design when I get the chance. I really want to thank everyone for your help.

Wanna show the cage i received from Tony (Engraver). It looks wonderful!! screen net on both side with plenty of ventilation, sideway door, screen net on top with airhole. Even my Pekingese love it :lol: i am going to trade more of this cage with Tony. Patent your invention Tony :wink:

cage21.jpg

does it come with the dog ;) really really really like these 'insectariums' i susect you will have a buisiness before long engraver :D one with multiple compartements for nymphs would go down a storm methinks...for nymphs... :D

does it come with the dog ;) really really really like these 'insectariums' i susect you will have a buisiness before long engraver :D one with multiple compartements for nymphs would go down a storm methinks...for nymphs... :D
I agree!!

I will order many more if it comes with the dog :D

Oh i have a pug we got from a mean breeder the dog lived in a cage in a garage for 5 years! Now she will always poop and pee on our floor!

Latest posts