New Canadian Mantid Enthusiast

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch65009

Superlative Сasual Dating - Live Women
Reaction score
Hi I'm Mitch. I'm from Ontario Canada and have always wanted a mantis since I was a kid. So I'm finally deciding to get in to it! Honestly, I love almost every species of mantis and will be looking to buy some in the near future! 

Welcome to the forums! It’s so great that you’re finally able to get into mantises, they’re such amazing creatures. Good luck finding a first species! This is a great place to start

Welcome to the forum! Mantids are awesome and we are so glad you decided to love them too!

- MantisGirl13

@Mitch65009

True north FTW! Ajax ON here.

Dont let anyone say it's not possible. 

I got into mantises last fall. Wild caught europeans. Now I have a couple dozen mantises, nine different species.

I know rn there are orchids from BC,  and there are ghosts and spinys available from a Canada-friendly seller in the US from a FB mantis group.

Glad you've joined us, eh!

@Mitch65009

True north FTW! Ajax ON here.

Dont let anyone say it's not possible. 

I got into mantises last fall. Wild caught europeans. Now I have a couple dozen mantises, nine different species.

I know rn there are orchids from BC,  and there are ghosts and spinys available from a Canada-friendly seller in the US from a FB mantis group.

Glad you've joined us, eh!
Oh that's awesome! I'm actually really interested in getting an African flower devil mantis. I know their hard to find, but do you know anyone who has them?

If you mean Idolomantis diabolica, then no. And, i'm looking myself.

Lots of US folk and online shops have them, but typically, they sell to US only.

If I secure a source, I'll let you know. Please do the same for me. 😁

Oh that's awesome! I'm actually really interested in getting an African flower devil mantis. I know their hard to find, but do you know anyone who has them?
You shouldn't get a mantis with such complicated care if you have never kept a mantis before. It is a recipe for trouble. I suggest starting with easier species and working your way up to the devil's flower. Good starter species are Phyllocrania, Hierodula, Sphodromantis, Tenodera, and Creobroter. Please do not buy a mantis that you don't have experience to care for. 

I'm not trying to deter you from the hobby, just trying to keep you from getting upset when your expensive mantis doesn't thrive in your amateur care. I've been in the hobby for three years and still don't feel capable to care for an idolo.

- MantisGirl13

Empusids are tougher to raise yup.

I've lost a gongy and a couple blephs. Im watching a bleph approach adult molt very closely rn. Frankly, shes scaring me. Yet, theres nothing to be scared at. Just a deep sense of the unknown. That's lack of experience. 

Idolos are considered very tough to get to adulthood. It wont deter me from trying asap.

Nice try, @MantisGirl13. You'd ROCK idolos!😉

Having said that, ive been stumbling along in this hobby since the end of last summer. The truth is you learn. A LOT!

Part of this is observing, and building up a gut instinct. Sometimes that's all you have to guide you. But gut instinct is based on experience.

Try keeping a few ghost. A few spinys. They tolerate much. Hierodula genera. Easy as pie. 

Learn to manage enclosure humidity, temps, feeder upkeep. (Its tougher here in Canada. I havent found a local source of housely or blue bottle fly larvae here, only black soldier fly larvae. So, I pay $$$ to import fly larvae from the US)

Like @MantisGirl13 said, this isn't to deter you, but to save your heartache, and allow you to be succesful. Just try something more tolerant to start.

👊😎

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually had a Hierodula for about a month now. I know a month probably isn't enough experience time, but who knows. Anyway, does anyone have a link to a care sheet for the devil flower? Just curious to see the care they need right now. And just one little question. When I got my Hierodula, she was missing a leg. I think she has trouble eating, so I hand feed her. Will she be able to thrive for her full life span with the disability?

Hierodula are very easy compared to the idolos. There is a 23-page long discussion over Idolos pinned in the General Mantis Discussion subforum. 

I still would suggest you get a few months or even years of experience with mantids like orchids, gongys, and Thistles before a you attempt Idolos. There are lots more neat looking mantids that don't require half as much attention as Idolos do. 

- MantisGirl13

Oh, and about your Hierodula, a missing leg will be regenerated within the next few molts and she should be able to eat and catch her own prey easily after her next molt.

- MantisGirl13

Oh, and about your Hierodula, a missing leg will be regenerated within the next few molts and she should be able to eat and catch her own prey easily after her next molt.

- MantisGirl13
Okay, perfect. Thanks for all the help. She actually molted last night, not a ton of improvement yet but will keep you upto date

@hysteresis

Yep, very true. I'm so glad I was able to find this form. Many nice, and educated people here. I hope to learn a lot about mantids. ^_^