New Canadian Mantid Enthusiast

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@hysteresis

Yep, very true. I'm so glad I was able to find this form. Many nice, and educated people here. I hope to learn a lot about mantids. ^_^
I knew nothing until I joined here. Folks like @MantisGirl13 @Graceface @Little Mantis @Synapze @Predatorhousepet @Aristalochia.

I bought a book by Orin McMonigle called KEEPING THE PRAYING MANTIS that really lays down a framework upon which to hang your experience as you gain it. (crazy metaphor I know)

But a book like that, plus scouring caresheets on the web, go a long way.

Biggest thing in my opinion? Wetness and humidity aren't the same. Don't soak your mantises. The mist droplets should dry in an hour or two.  But humidity should linger 24h a day 7 days a week. There's the rub! 

I don't know where I'd be in the hobby if it weren't for this forum and the people on here. I've learned most of what I know from others on here. Orin's books give a lot of info as well.

- MantisGirl13

Biggest thing in my opinion? Wetness and humidity aren't the same. Don't soak your mantises. The mist droplets should dry in an hour or two.  But humidity should linger 24h a day 7 days a week. There's the rub! 
+100

I can't say how much I agree! Wetness is NOT humidity!

- MantisGirl13

Not a word of a lie. Yesterday on Mantis Keepers, some dude was wondering why his mantis died en route to the person he sold to.

Standing water in the cup. Loose plastic plant in the cup as a perch. No lining for grip.

Wow.

AND, shipped into southern Mexico.

That cup was hot soup.

Last edited by a moderator:
@hysteresis @MantisGirl13

I got one question, is it normal for my mantis to always be upside down in a defensive position? She's been like this for a while now and she tends to never move from her defensive position. 

@Mitch65009 If you mean a threat pose, she's just scared. Leave her alone for a while and she'll get back to normal. If you mean she's hanging upside down in a fairly normal position, then that is perfectly normal behavior.

- MantisGirl13

Oh okay. That's a good sign. Here's the photos. Sorry their a bit blurry @MantisGirl13

IMG_20190418_223425.jpg

IMG_20190418_223412.jpg

That's a perfectly normal posture! Few tips for the cage...

1- Ditch the ground covering. It's just getting everything dirty and providing a place for prey to hide. A layer of paper towel works well.

2- Add more perches. Sticks or fake flowers work well.

3- Put netting or screen on the roof. This will help her get a better grip good molts and climbing. 

- MantisGirl13

@Mitch65009, most mantises hang inverted. Some like Deroplatys truncata or Tarachodula pantherina like to sit on a perch and survey for crawling food. Having said that, they also spend a lot of time inverted. Most just hang from the lids of their enclosures.

@MantisGirl13

Alright perfect! And thanks for the tips! Will definitely apply these changes. But how should I get the netting to attach to the lid?

@MantisGirl13

Alright perfect! And thanks for the tips! Will definitely apply these changes. But how should I get the netting to attach to the lid?
Sure, anytime! I'm glad to help. Hot glue is what most mantis keepers use because it isn't toxic or sticky after cooling and it won't dissolve in water.

- MantisGirl13