New Guy

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoylentGreen

Reaction score
Hello boys and girls,

My names MIchael and I live in Oklahoma City. My wife captured the Mantis pictured below in her flower bed which I created a habitat for after deciding to keep. Shes a Carolina female which created a ootheca by the third day of her captivity. My wife stated that she did see another Mantis later that was more slender and had a bigger head so I'm hopeful it was male and the egg sack is fertile, guess I'll find out in a couple of months. I've never known a lot about these critters, used to catch'em when I was a kid, keep them a couple days, feeding them and releasing'em back to nature. Been reading a lot of info. on web sites to learn as much as I can, fast as I can. Ordered Orin's newer book "Keeping the Praying Mantis" cause I like having printed material to reference. I found this site after she started leaving small amount of brown liquid spotting the glass of her habitat and started a search for more info. on subject which I found here. Looks to be like a very interesting/informative forum to be a part of so here I am.

Female Carolina Mantis 1 024 (Copy).JPG

Female Carolina Mantis 1 020 (Copy).JPG

Female Carolina Mantis 1 021 (Copy).JPG

Female Carolina Mantis 1 022 (Copy).JPG

Female Carolina Mantis 1 014 (Copy).JPG

soylent green, if the mantis your wife found had a bigger head it wasn't a male. Males have twice as small heads at adult comparison to females. It might have been a Chinese male, since they are bigger and could not mate with your mantis.

Thanks for the warm welcomes guys! Mantis Man, I went back and asked my wife if she was sure about her description of the other mantis and she's now uncertain (not a good eye witness). I'm still just hoping the sack hatches, I'll like to try my hand at raising'em up from babies. Think I've got the bug for these things (see what I did there.) Got Orin's book today, so after reading it and doing little more research I'm going to try my luck at some of the more exotic types. Thanks again guys.

Regards- Mike B.

Welcome, my partner and i just hatched a Carolina Mantis Ootheca and they're great. Enjoy and let me know if you have too much ill be willing to take any that you don't want.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the book recommendation, on my introduction post.

Odd your mantis laid a ooth on her 3rd day, is a Stagmomantis carolina, you prefer printed books, is your first mantis, and your a new member. Lots of similarities to my story including 3rd day ooth and all, we just got a different book and you started a few days sooner. :D

I wonder if this is the most popular time of year for new members/new mantis pet owners?

Latest posts