New kind of gut loading!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schloaty

Reaction score
One of my other hobbies is Maple tapping (for syrup) in the late winter.

when collecting the sap, I find lots of flies & moths, which I've been collecting and feeding to my mantids.

The other night, I saw one of the ghosts catch a moth, and tuck in to the abdoman...and which point the darn thing started to BLEED SAP! Unreal.

Guess my mantids will be real sweethearts now!

That is cool. Obviously they feed on the sap. Should be good for the mantids.

Yeah, they sure do. The sap has a 2.5 to 3% sugar content, which is what they're after (and why it makes yummy syrup).

Wonder if the mantids would prefer it on pancakes? :rolleyes:

Oh I know. My wife is from NY. Her parents tap maples too. We have several jars around here all the time. Good stuff.

That's interesting, Schloaty. ;)

I've been experimenting with different feeding methods and ingredients for my feeder houseflies and BB's; and I recently made a concoction that included maple syrup.

It was powdered sugar, brown sugar, powdered milk, water crystals, honey, maple syrup, corn syrup, and water... in little cups with some pet wood shavings sprinkled on top (so they don't get stuck in the mixture) in each net cage.

Fairly new... so not completely sure how well it will work yet. It seems to dry out and form a hard chunk.
sad.gif
Still debating how to prevent this problem, and in the meantime have been misting and mixing to restore and maintain a moist syrupy mix. But it needs adjusting... somehow, lol.
rolleyes.gif

That's interesting, Schloaty. ;)

I've been experimenting with different feeding methods and ingredients for my feeder houseflies and BB's; and I recently made a concoction that included maple syrup.

It was powdered sugar, brown sugar, powdered milk, water crystals, honey, maple syrup, corn syrup, and water... in little cups with some pet wood shavings sprinkled on top (so they don't get stuck in the mixture) in each net cage.

Fairly new... so not completely sure how well it will work yet. It seems to dry out and form a hard chunk.
sad.gif
Still debating how to prevent this problem, and in the meantime have been misting and mixing to restore and maintain a moist syrupy mix. But it needs adjusting... somehow, lol.
rolleyes.gif
I've had the same problem, Katt, though mine only get milk powder and sugar; they're simple, desert flies down here and don't go for for that fancy stuff. But I think that between our misting and their spit, it just turns to "milk mud" and dries solid. I suspect, though that they rather like the larval medium itself, and that "honey on the roof " idea of yours and Yen's works very well for me, too.

A girl and a boy were on a motorcycle, wow power leveling wow power leveling speeding through the night. They loved each other a lot..

Girl:" Slow down a little.. I'm scared.."

Boy: "No, it's so fun.."

Girl: "Please... it's so scary.."Wow gold,Wow gold

Boy: "Then say that you love me.."

Girl: "Fine..I love you..Can you slow down now?"

Boy: "Give me a big hug.."The girl gave him a big hug.world of warcraft gold, world of warcraft gold

Girl: "Now can you slow down?"

Boy: "Can you take off my helmet and put it on? It's uncomfortable and?It's bothering me while I drive."

The next day, there was a story in the newspaper. a motorcycle had crashed into a building because its brakes were broken. There were two people on the motorcycle, of which one died, and the other had survived...

The guy knew that the brakes were broken. He didn't want to let the

girl know, because he knew that the girl would have gotten scared. wow cd keys, wow cd keys

Instead, he was told the last time that she loved him, got a hug from her,put his helmet on her so that she can live, and die himself..

Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life,love gives us a fairy tale.uncomfortable and?It's bothering me while I drive."wow power leveling, wow power leveling

The next day, there was a story in the newspaper. a motorcycle had crashed into a building because its brakes were broken. There were two people on the motorcycle, of which one died, and the other had survived... dog carriers, dog carriers

The guy knew that the brakes were broken.He didn't want to let the

girl know,because he knew that the girl would have gotten scared.

Instead, he was told the last time that she loved him,got a hug from her,put his helmet on her so that she can live, and die himself...

Once in awhile, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us a fairy tale

Latest posts