New macro pics

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jacksun. I am old enough to know and use those 35 mm manual camera too. Minolta happened to be my dad (and my in-law) favorite too back in the 70s it is a great camera, take wonderful pics too, but i have to say learning photographing hasn't been easier and forgiving with the current digital SLR, once familiar with all the buttons. In the old days, from a roll of 35 mm film there are probably only few that could make it to the screen it takes so much effort to master it.

I couldn't find a black background, so i used different colors. one of them is the dark green/grey as you suggested Jacksun :)

af1-1.jpg

af2-1.jpg

af3-1.jpg

@ Becky

Taken with overcast weather bummer! been raining for the past two days here.

subf10.jpg

subf4.jpg

subf3.jpg

subf2.jpg

Nice improvements Yen! Another way to get a 'black' background is to use your flash as the 'main' light and just make sure the background is far enough away to not be lit by the flash. An off shoe cord or wireless is another good way to do that.

Shot in a room with white walls

Nice improvements Yen! Another way to get a 'black' background is to use your flash as the 'main' light and just make sure the background is far enough away to not be lit by the flash. An off shoe cord or wireless is another good way to do that.Shot in a room with white walls
Thanks for the tips Kamakiri.... Arigato! ;)

Looking good Yen, nice work!!!!!Wayne
Thanks Wayne

You have made some good progress Yen.Chris
I wouldn't be able to take those macro shots if not for you Chris. For anyone who don't know Chris, he is the expert who gave me lot of great advice from photo shooting to equipment. Show us some of your great macro pics here Chris. As promised, i hope to send you some mantis in the future. :)

theres no need to use a black background to get black images...just make sure theres nothing behind the subject..take them in a dull room with not much light.shoot at around f/22 it willl be jet black

lovely images yen..so your using a onboard flash to light these images?how are you lighting the background?

Thats the key with macro work it seems......its all about lighting. Any one can go out and buy a macro lens but you need good lighting to be able to pull of those amazing shots. Im thinking about investing into a macro flash........ good or bad idea?

Thats the key with macro work it seems......its all about lighting. Any one can go out and buy a macro lens but you need good lighting to be able to pull of those amazing shots. Im thinking about investing into a macro flash........ good or bad idea?
good idea.a diffused flash is what your need..shooting at 1:1 above to get the settings you want ie iso 100 to get the most detail around f/11.when you start going above 1:1 theres so little light hitting the sensor that the only way to get good sharp shots is with a flash.

All Canon gear - 400D - MPE-65 - MT-24EX with Gary Fong Puffer Pop-Up Flash Diffuser 1 on each head

2310638737_fdf691c6b2_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't attempted to shoot above 1:1 but the only way I can get usable shots are in direct sun it seems.....so I think a macro flash all around would be a good investment. Now the tedious job of saving up begins :rolleyes:

btw, dont think you shouldn't experiment with different colors, just not such vibrant colors ;)

i.e. http://digart.img.digart.pl/data/img/vol0/...400/3039836.jpg <--- not my pictures

Edit: I know you don't use a ring flash macrojunkie, but there are no MT-24EX equivalents for Pentax so would a macro ring flash suffice?

theres no need to use a black background to get black images...just make sure theres nothing behind the subject..take them in a dull room with not much light.shoot at around f/22 it willl be jet blacklovely images yen..so your using a onboard flash to light these images?how are you lighting the background?
So if i shoot at f/22, should i change ISO to like 400 or larger? otherwise the subject became very dark as well.

Yeah it is the onboard flash. I have a flourescent light on top as below. I am looking for other alternative so i could still use my 580 EX flash.

setup5.jpg

Couple pic of Creobroter nebulosa taken recently.

af2.jpg

af6.jpg

So if i shoot at f/22, should i change ISO to like 400 or larger? otherwise the subject became very dark as well.Yeah it is the onboard flash. I have a flourescent light on top as below. I am looking for other alternative so i could still use my 580 EX flash.
the hole point of having low iso(100) the highest shutter speed pos(200 with the flash sync) and f/22 would mean almost 0 light is hitting the senser..yer the subject would be dark..thats why your going to use flash. :) let me know how it turns out.

the hole point of having low iso(100) the highest shutter speed pos(200 with the flash sync) and f/22 would mean almost 0 light is hitting the senser..yer the subject would be dark..thats why your going to use flash. :) let me know how it turns out.
Thanks MJ. Yeah that's right the larger ISO could produce grainy pic. I am thinking of getting a micro sync triggers which connect my flash light to the camera with a wire so i could point my flash directly to the subject. Another option would be flash bracket. Thinking of Wimberley or Kirk flash bracket.

Thanks MJ. Yeah that's right the larger ISO could produce grainy pic. I am thinking of getting a micro sync triggers which connect my flash light to the camera with a wire so i could point my flash directly to the subject. Another option would be flash bracket. Thinking of Wimberley or Kirk flash bracket.
yep..you need your 580ex?i keep forgetting the names..any way,you need to get your flash right up close againts your lens..bracket wold be good..i also need one..thats how i get alot of my black images.alot of the time im holding a small stick with my left hand which the mantis is on and my right hand i have the camara.i hold it up in he air and take the shots..because theres nothing behind the subject the images come out with a pure black background.your need to set your flash fec to around -2/3 as when your shooting subjects(mainly white ones) with no background for some reason it fool the sensor in thinking it has to over expose..To compensate for that your need to turn the flash power down.-2/3 mayby even -1..just have a play see how u get on:)

yep..you need your 580ex?i keep forgetting the names..any way,you need to get your flash right up close againts your lens..bracket wold be good..i also need one..thats how i get alot of my black images.alot of the time im holding a small stick with my left hand which the mantis is on and my right hand i have the camara.i hold it up in he air and take the shots..because theres nothing behind the subject the images come out with a pure black background.your need to set your flash fec to around -2/3 as when your shooting subjects(mainly white ones) with no background for some reason it fool the sensor in thinking it has to over expose..To compensate for that your need to turn the flash power down.-2/3 mayby even -1..just have a play see how u get on:)
Thanks MJ. Good point! :)

With a camera like yours, Yen, you shouldn't have a noise problem ("grain"? you must be an old film camera man!) at 400 or even 800 ISO (go to Steve's Digicam Reviews for a discussion of this on your camera, with illustrations). If you want a nice even illumination for your macros (as opposed to "dramatic" shadows), you might want to consider an LED ring light which clamps around the lens. They tend to be demanding of battery power, but aside from convenience, you get to see how the pic will come out before you shoot.

I, find that light-ring pix tend to be a little too bland, myself, and another way of controlling light (combined diffused and directional) and background for macros is to use a light box (EZ Cube is a popular example). This kind of setup is very popular with the pros, but you need a cooperative mantis!

Your pics are coming along very nicely; experiment, experiment, experiment!

Thanks Phil. Ha yep "grain".... :) The LED ring light wil do magic i am sure. I am looking for a cheaper way (i am tight-axx!) :) to get away with it. Besides the money, it is fun exploring all kind of alternatives on photographing. LIghting and diffuser, manual and auto, cooperative human and mantis.... it is all challenging to amatuer like me :)

ring flash arnt any good unless they have ratio control on them.dont bother with the cheap ring lights unless you want flat even lighting with no shadows as they havent got settings on them to change the ratio controll.Thats why i like the canons mt-24ex twin light so much.you can change each head to any postion.its not cheape tho <_< .tbh tho yen a good frined of mine lordv has a 430ex on a bracket and his images are some of the best around.

ring flash arnt any good unless they have ratio control on them.dont bother with the cheap ring lights unless you want flat even lighting with no shadows as they havent got settings on them to change the ratio controll.Thats why i like the canons mt-24ex twin light so much.you can change each head to any postion.its not cheape tho <_< .tbh tho yen a good frined of mine lordv has a 430ex on a bracket and his images are some of the best around.
Thx MJ, i really need to consider flash bracket. I will be in touble (from my "boss") if i decided to get a mt-24ex like yours MJ ;)

Latest posts