• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

*New Mantis* (nymphs) for the hobby, now available!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don L.

Reaction score
Brown hatchlings of the "Big Brown Mantis", as the collector referred to them, are available right now. I have done a very extensive search for any article or keeper experience, and have found nothing but a scientific listing of many mantises, and some drawings. Not a Sphodromantis/had those. I know that they are of the Heterochaeta species (search of home nation species lists). I'm betting they are Heterochaeta occidentalis, and I have the one and only (findable) link to the drawing of this species, likely a male adult. The other species is Heterochaeta reticulata, and as you snake lovers know what a "reticulated" species is...but no drawings or pictures of this particular species. So I'm calling them H. occidentalis. With the name "Big Brown Mantis", and from the drawing I've saved, I would assume they are a larger mantis species, perhaps 3-4",+?

It was a fair sized hatchout, so I will sell these at a low cost (I have another ooth). If you are interested in trying what may be a brand new addition to the mantiskeeper collection, write me back, and we will work out a fair deal for however many you want. What I have learned so far is that they hatch very well - no failures at all! And that they do not eat yet on day two, but are moving about well.

Latest posts