New Mantis Owner

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy! A big thanks to this forum and those on it for all the wonderful information here. I’ve kept a lot of insects, fish tanks (fresh, salt & reef), terrariums / carnivorous plants but not a Mantis before. I’ve really enjoyed doing research here so thank you.

I’m very comfortable with creating micro-environments and the specific needs of each species are fascinating. I’ve had a lot of fun with gear for temperature, humidity, airflow, fly cultures, etc. So much of the information on that has been shared here by experienced keepers.

I did do the ‘bad thing’ by starting with an Orchid Mantis but I knew I had my many years of keeping delicate reef environments alive so hopefully I’m not a complete fool.

I named my Orchid Mantis Ripley and so far she (probably a he though) is doing great. Had their first molt with me last night into L3 and it could not have gone better. Ripley is hardening up today on a lower humidity and left behind a perfect molt.

I’ve been playing with some camera gear / lenses but I’m not great at that yet. Here are a few snaps from the last couple weeks.
2024-07-19-21-25-42-515.jpeg
2024-07-24-13-00-14-183.jpeg
IMG_7309.jpeg

Looks like I have a definite male here by the browns necklace at L3, yes?
It would actually be i3! Mantises do not have larval instars which is what the L's are for. I would say your little guy is still a tad young to tell as the collars can change in future molts. It'll be easier to tell at i4-5. You could try getting a close up of Ripley's abdomen. Your pictures have good quality so identifying the genitals shouldn't be hard. : )

As for you purchasing an orchid mantis, while they're certainly not a beginner mantis, they're not all that difficult to keep as long as you have a basic understanding of mantis care and do your research. So, I think you'll be okay! Just keep in mind orchid mantises are more prone to infections so have extra/cross ventilation is important. I raised mine at room temperature perfectly fine, but it never hurts to be paranoid and keep them at a higher temperature.

It would actually be i3! Mantises do not have larval instars which is what the L's are for. I would say your little guy is still a tad young to tell as the collars can change in future molts. It'll be easier to tell at i4-5. You could try getting a close up of Ripley's abdomen. Your pictures have good quality so identifying the genitals shouldn't be hard. : )

As for you purchasing an orchid mantis, while they're certainly not a beginner mantis, they're not all that difficult to keep as long as you have a basic understanding of mantis care and do your research. So, I think you'll be okay! Just keep in mind orchid mantises are more prone to infections so have extra/cross ventilation is important. I raised mine at room temperature perfectly fine, but it never hurts to be paranoid and keep them at a higher temperature.
Hey so it looks like Ripley’s collar is a little more green. Or, maybe it’s just wishful thinking, ha ha. Here is a more recent pic. I’m not sure if I’m counting the segments right. Thoughts?
IMG_7589.jpeg
IMG_7599.jpeg

Latest posts