new media results

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even the one's I mixed yeast into are doing well. I didn't mix alot of yeast in though, about one teaspoon and a pinch of sugar till it proofed, then split that between three 32oz deli cups. More than is in the other ones though, just a tiny bit of a pinch on top of the others to get the ferment going so it was enticing to the FF's.

I figure when it gets to fermenting on it's own it won't need any help.

I do have a couple cultures with no vinegar or lemon juice in them and they are getting a bit 'muddy' looking on top, but the fruitflies are doing fine in them.

Only culture that doesn't have lots of maggots is the first one I did with apple sauce and masa, that had, and still has healthy fruitfly activity, just no maggots that I can see. The could be under the coffee filter, but I doubt it.

As of a couple of days ago, all the Hydei cultures appear to be producing and have maggots ready to pupate. Even the ones with too much yeast mixed in. At least the bublbes are gone now. Those seem to be a bit behind, but I won't really be able to tell until I see flies. I also varied the number of starter flies and recorded that on the containers. One had flies introduced in steps...I don't think that made a difference compared to the single introduction, since nearly all of the original flies seem to be alive and breeding still.

Now I gotta get some melanogaster cultures going.

Grant

Latest posts