New Setup

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I would say mine is similar to.  I'm going to go ahead and try leaving the dim orange light on at night :D
Great, try it out and see if any of their behavior changes with it on versus off; however, if it is that dim it should be just fine. ;)

So far so good with the light... I think. 

Question... Is it normal for mantids to get antsy/restless. Sometimes I'll have one that gets really active and just keeps crawling round the top of their enclosure, looking for a way out. It happens especially with my first 2 - Budwing and Malaysian shield. They used to do it around the rim of their cups, but now they know the front door of the terrarium opens and that's mostly where they try to test for an opening, tho they do check the circumference. I feel bad for them. Reason I mentioned is it is happening at night now too, so I'm thinking maybe the orange light is too bright after all. I'm  not sure if they are normally that active at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far so good with the light... I think. 

Question... Is it normal for mantids to get antsy/restless. Sometimes I'll have one that gets really active and just keeps crawling round the top of their enclosure, looking for a way out. It happens especially with my first 2 - Budwing and Malaysian shield. They used to do it around the rim of their cups, but now they know the front door of the terrarium opens and that's mostly where they try to test for an opening, tho they do check the circumference. I feel bad for them. Reason I mentioned is it is happening at night now too, so I'm thinking maybe the orange light is too bright after all. I'm  not sure if they are normally that active at night.
Some mantids are like that especially wild caught individuals that are new to habitats, they usually tend to stop the behavior after a few days to a week. Some individuals if handled a lot will get to the point they would rather be loose too though.

As your not sure if it is their normal behavior or not I would suggest leaving the light off tomorrow, and check on them a few times with a flashlight and see if they are still doing it. Also it should happen during the daylight hours some as well, if it is their normal behavior. Keep an eye on them and see what you notice.

Some mantids are like that especially wild caught individuals that are new to habitats, they usually tend to stop the behavior after a few days to a week. Some individuals if handled a lot will get to the point they would rather be loose too though.

As your not sure if it is their normal behavior or not I would suggest leaving the light off tomorrow, and check on them a few times with a flashlight and see if they are still doing it. Also it should happen during the daylight hours some as well, if it is their normal behavior. Keep an eye on them and see what you notice.
Yeah, now that you mentioned it, the 2 that do it the most often are the 2 that I handle the most, since they are the calmest. So I guess they just want to come out. It's funny because sometimes I'll open the door for them and they will immediately come out, perch on my hand and start cleaning their feet  :rolleyes: .

I'll def turn the "night light" off and check tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, now that you mentioned it, the 2 that do it the most often are the 2 that I handle the most, since they are the calmest. So I guess they just want to come out. It's funny because sometimes I'll open the door for them and they will immediately come out, perch on my hand and start cleaning their feet  :rolleyes: .

I'll def turn the "night light" off and check tonight.
So you do have a couple spoiled babies then. :lol: Much like human babies crying and reaching out to be held, some mantids will search for a exit until they get exhausted or get let out. It is one of the "trained"/learned behaviors that can be found in pet mantids.

Cleaning is just a sign they are content, and they can be worse than cats with their constant grooming. ;)

Best of luck then. Likely they will not do it tonight, but will for a few days of nightlight use as they can now see at night. Just like a parent you will likely have to let them sit there for a few nights "crying to be held" until they calm down.

Latest posts