NEW SPECIES! Sphodropoda quinquedens

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Direct from down under, Sphodropoda quinquedens...

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6642-sm.jpg

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6657-sm.jpg

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6602-sm.jpg

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6573-sm.jpg

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6637-sm.jpg

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6571-sm.jpg

Squinquedenspre-m_6830-sm.jpg

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6588-sm.jpg

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6609-sm.jpg

SphodropodaqL4-L5_6623-sm.jpg

Awesome! i love the variations in color, as well as their purple mandibles and their decorative arms. Very cool species!

I like the Tenodera one better, but these are cool. Love the decorated arms and black nails. It should be called the gothic peacock mantis.

Awesome! i love the variations in color, as well as their purple mandibles and their decorative arms. Very cool species!
Agreed. I knew about the bold stripping on the arms and red mouths but did not expect the other beautiful colors. Really subtle pastel colors that are hard to even capture in photos. The yellow ones have this peach sheen on the abdomen that's really amazing in person. Almost opalescent. I love the combination on some of the males - pinkish bodies with red mouth and stripes, and baby blue eyes.

The odd thing is the colors seem to be indicative of sex. The males tend toward flesh, pink, reddish and creamy orange, while the females are green or yellow. So you can sex them just with that information. I'm not aware of another species with that trait. We'll see if this holds true next generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are they from south america? Cause then south american purple jawed mantis maybe? or possibly south american pastel mantis?

Awesome new species!

Out of curiosity, was it a big deal when they first discovered "commonly captive" sphodro sp. like "Blue Flash" or the linoleas?

I have some myself , I don't think they slightly compair to the two you mentioned these are from Australia , nymphs when I got mine were burnt orange to red , lips red as adults day and night to a blue flag and any new sp if fun for a true hobbyist , ugly, outrageous or not :)

Very cool species. I just love those stripes. And your mantis portraits are so amazing. It looks like you have cooperative subjects. Perhaps they want you to make them famous. You should have submitted one of these photos for the calendar... Good luck with them.

Latest posts