NEW SPECIES! Sphodropoda quinquedens

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya i showed my Australia Buddy this new species .. He said is from Australia and He found a contact with this species located in North Of Australia who's keeping them and few new species in Australia .. So i hope I can try them soon :)

Last edited by a moderator:
How are these guys doing in the wild in Australia? I'm not interested in going and catching any, just curious about the wild populations of new captive species. Beautiful species btw!

How are these guys doing in the wild in Australia? I'm not interested in going and catching any, just curious about the wild populations of new captive species. Beautiful species btw!
Thats an interesting question. Makes me think of another: What would everyone do if a mantis common in captivity went extinct in the wild? Would you come forward and offer yours as possible re-introduction? There's so many things that would happen. You'd announce yourself as a mantis keeper, possibly drawing attention you don't want. Lets say you imported those mantids in a government-frowns-on kind of way, what then? Your specimens could mean the survival of the species, but there's a lot of risks to it too.

Not sure who this is addressed to. I don't live in Australia or know anyone who does. Didn't get them from there anyway. These were captive bred so I'd imagine that helps wild populations as a backup plan.

Not sure who this is addressed to. I don't live in Australia or know anyone who does. Didn't get them from there anyway. These were captive bred so I'd imagine that helps wild populations as a backup plan.
It was addressed towards you. Just an innocent question. I had assumed you had some contact who got them straight from the source, not captivity.

Wow the purple beige and blue are crazy in the last few pics

Very nice colors in this species I'd be interested in seeing the wings

Are they much different than sphodromantis?

It was addressed towards you. Just an innocent question. I had assumed you had some contact who got them straight from the source, not captivity.
I can honestly say I have never owned wild collected ooths or nymphs. May have purchased nymphs hatched from wild collected ooths, as some breeders buy ooths rather than breed their own, but that's about as close as I've come. I put the "direct from down under" line just to make people aware of their country of origin.

Full disclosure everyone:

They are not literally direct from down under! :D

Wow the purple beige and blue are crazy in the last few pics

Very nice colors in this species I'd be interested in seeing the wings

Are they much different than sphodromantis?
Yeah, the baby blue eyes are killer.

They are completely different from any Sphodromantis. They move differently and behave differently. They are actually communal, or so I've been told. I have too few to risk it but I will try with the next generation for sure. What kind of crazy bonus would that be?!?!?! You'll see how unlike them they are once I get around to uploading some video.

I have no adults yet but you can see the wings in these photos I found online. Looks like they have some beautiful blue and yellow on the underside. I'll have to get some photos of that for sure.

Sphodropodaquinquedens04.jpg

Sphodropodaquinquedens05.jpg

Sphodropodaquinquedens03.jpg

Sphodropodaquinquedens02.jpg

That blue Ootheca is so bizarre! Be sure to get some pictures of that too!
You know it!

Also, what is the difference between Sphodromantis and Hierodula?
You're asking the wrong guy. I'm not much into either of those categories. I don't follow the technical/scientific end of things so couldn't tell you what separates them. I did like Sphodromantis viridis quite a bit and currently have Sphodromantis sp. but that's the extent of my experience with Sphodromantis, and I've only ever had a pair of Hierodula majuscula.

Well from my 1year experience in to Mantis .. i don't see much difference between the 2 species other then few dots on the forearm .. some have longer legs.... but the look is identical.. But I do think Sphodromantis can go longer with out water compair to Hierodula witch is a good thing ... mist less haha...

Sphodropodaquinquedens03.jpg

looks like the joker from batman :lol: :batman:

hierodula r bigger and have more reticulation on the mid and hind legs, as well as a slightly different shaped thorax, but otherwise hierodula is an asian sphodromantis and sphodromantis is an african hierodula ;)

Who sells these new australian species?

Thought it was near impossible to get anything out of australia.

That was me in a wig. Ugly thought... :chris:

Who sells these new australian species?

Thought it was near impossible to get anything out of australia.
As far as I know no one is selling them. I just got lucky. :shifty:

And I currently have 2 Australian species, the other being Archimantis latistyla (Australian Stick Mantis), so impossible is way too strong a word.

Archimantis latistyla (Australian Stick Mantis) L5

Archimantis latistyla adult female - fresh molt

ID Game - The Dragon's Third Eye

Well, i have noticed that most hierodula species have longer thoraxes in relation to their overall body length, while sphodromantis is generally more bulky.

Latest posts