New Species (to Me) ever caught

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Hemptress

Reaction score
I went to my mother's house for lunch a couple of days a ago since she only live a couple blocks from my place of business. i figured sisnce it was warm enough i would try and catch some easy/free food for my little critters. But isntead i found an adult female Iris Orarotoria (Mediterranean Mantis) i though it was a male stagmomantis limbata but as i got closer this little gal didnt look like any other mantis i had seen (other than in pictures), i had an idea of what species she was but after looking through pictures and descriptions it was certain.Sh has that ver distinct marking on her abdomen. also couple of day after makeing her enclosure i notice a little ooth. since i have no experience with this species i ust wanna make sure everything is on the up and up and that everything looks healthy. and feed back would be great. please and thank you in advance.

since i cant get the pictures to load here im going to just share the link to all of them

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?app=galleryℑ=5038

Very nice! The ooths of Iris oratoria do tend to be very small, especially if unfertilized. As I'm sure you probably know, the species is partially parthenogenetic, so be sure to keep the ooth! :) She looks just like the oratoria I have right now, Klaretta. She looks very healthy - amazing since you caught her so late in the year. It's getting cold. :)

Very nice! The ooths of Iris oratoria do tend to be very small, especially if unfertilized. As I'm sure you probably know, the species is partially parthenogenetic, so be sure to keep the ooth! :) She looks just like the oratoria I have right now, Klaretta. She looks very healthy - amazing since you caught her so late in the year. It's getting cold. :)
i had no idea that they are parthenogenetic, also, its not cold here yet... it was like mid 80s the other day

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts