New species

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukony

Reaction score
Has anyone tried breeding some new species? I wouldn't imagine it would be that hard.

it's hard, because it's hard to pick out a song both species will "get it on" to! :p

Also, different species consider other species either a threat, or lunch.

You know what the girls do to their OWN men, imagine what they'd do to a dude that lookd different... She's eat him up for lunch!

Maybe you could get them drunk first, or dim the lights, or make them wear special glasses that make them see different things...?

This sounds like really stupid but what if you were to like find a way to covere their eyes. The male might just instinctively mount.

i imagine each species releases its own unique pheromones. also each species seems to have unique, or at least very different genitalia to other species.

Yes, but if you think about it they are all in the same family of insect. I would think it would be like having mixes of dogs.

Julian has the right idea. Mantids are not in the same Family, they are in the same Order. Domestic dogs all belong to one species and/or subspecies Canis lupus familiaris.

I beleive horses and donkies are in the same family/sub family, what do they make when cross bread again?

People have tried and it just creates mules or nothing at all. I think whalbergi and occelata have been crossed as well as many hierodulas, but im not even sure if its worked tbh.

Someone needs to cross a Mantis and a dog. Now THAT would be a cool "man's best friend"....till it grabbed ya and started chompin' on yer kneecaps...

Hi.

There were no successfull inter-species-crossings:

The only case of which I konw of a hybrid Ps. ocellata x wahlbergii did not reach adulthood.

Hierodula were not crossbred, just because someone thought they were. Most crossbreedings were not crossbreedings but just misdeterminations.

Hybrids are rare and, if existing at all, infertile.

I do not see any sense in this, except when done for taxonomic purposes.

Regards,

Christian

Latest posts