New to Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveBug

Reaction score
Howdy,

On August 10 I attended a carnivorous plants show at a garden center. To my surprise and delight, they were giving away newly hatched mantids. They had hatched the day before. I love interesting pets and was happy to take one home.

Now I'm looking forward to learning all I can about this baby and how to take great care of him. I do know that humidity is important right now and I'm eagerly awaiting his first shed. He's about a week old, so I think I have possibly another week to go.

I live in Massachusetts, took early retirement from the corporate world, and have 3 snakes, 2 lizards, a 41-year-old turtle, a parrot, 2 white-footed mice, a Pomeranian, and a Betta. Oh, and one patient husband.

This is me ...

www.AnnHentz.com

Welcome! Do you know what specie of mantis you have? A scientific or common name would be great to reference when you have specific questions - although the US natives (which you probably have) are all pretty close when it comes to temperature, humidity, diet, etc.

Welcome! Carolina mantids can molt without much humidity at all. In your area the most common mantids are probably Tenodera sinensis. Tenodera angustipennis, Mantis religiosa and Stagmomantis carolina might also be in your area.

Hello..& welcome.. I am new also..That is quite a zoo you have.. LOL There is a lot of info on the board... People are really nice here to to amswer questions...

Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I don't know what kind of mantis it is. They were giving day-old babies away at a carnivorous plant show last weekend.

Now I have a question. I'm a bit concerned. Frank is one week old today and he's molting. His legs are out and his body is almost completely out except for the last two segments. I've been watching him for about 15 minutes. There seems to be quite a bit of humidity in the cup, but I spritzed his tail end. Is there anything else I can do to help him? I'd be so very sad to lose him.

Maybe I should post this question elsewhere?

Thanks.

Welcome! Do you know what specie of mantis you have? A scientific or common name would be great to reference when you have specific questions - although the US natives (which you probably have) are all pretty close when it comes to temperature, humidity, diet, etc.
I don't know the species. I wrote to the carnivorous plant show person who said the ootheca was taken from along the eastern seabord but that's all he could tell me. So it's at least a native species.

Welcome! Carolina mantids can molt without much humidity at all. In your area the most common mantids are probably Tenodera sinensis. Tenodera angustipennis, Mantis religiosa and Stagmomantis carolina might also be in your area.
Thanks. I didn't realize we had more than sinensis and religiosa. I'll look up the others.

I do not think you should disturb the mantis while molting, but you need to sometimes when they fall to the ground when about to molt. Mantises hang from their abdomen tip for some time after most of their body has come out of the skin or shed with it's legs out in the air not holding onto anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
His legs are out and his body is almost completely out except for the last two segments. I've been watching him for about 15 minutes. There seems to be quite a bit of humidity in the cup, but I spritzed his tail end. Is there anything else I can do to help him? I'd be so very sad to lose him.
Everything sounds fine, clearing their legs out can be the harder part... if he's down to his last two segments he'll want to hang there for a while and let the new skeleton harden. Then he'll pull his butt out and be good to go.

Latest posts