new to the site and to this hobby

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papichulo24

Reaction score
hello my name is hoesay garcia out from orange county ca. Im new to this hobby,well my daughter wanted to pick this hobby up when we found a mantis in our gardening session.

Here is a picture of the mantids we found have no idea what species he is but we sure need help in caring for him in the right way.

we also have a couple hobbies such as caring for a bearded dragon rc bashing and puzzel building buahahah yes its a hobby every friday night is puzzle night.

welcome fellow RCer. list of rigs: grave digger stampede(sons), completely hopped up old school stampede, axial wraith modded with Deadpool in the drivers seat, and a mini losi crawler also my sons.

"A Sith Lowered?

I have a losi 5ive t a hpi 5 scflux scx10 rival highroller and e-revo glad to know there are some rc'ers here on. A lot of sunny so cal family here on this site awesome!!!

Welcome from Maine! I played with toy trucks and cars and dinosaurs when I was little. Dolls freaked me out!

Welcome to Mantid Forum! I live in Arizona, moved here 2 yrs. ago from central Cali, but was born and raised back east in Ohio. I've bought a house here in Arizona, therefore, I'm not moving again, I'm here to live out the rest of my days! :)

It looks like you've got a female Iris Oratoria mantis there. ^_^ I'm no expert, only been doing this for close to a year, however, the Oratoria was my first mantis too! They have that reddish coloring on their forceps like yours has. The large wide abdomen is indicative that it's a female. She will eat houseflies, and an occasional roach. Mine did not care for beetles, but some do. DO NOT feed her ants, bees, stinkbugs, or spiders. They can be hazardous to your mantis. (That goes for any species.) They also like an occasional mealworm or waxworm. Some will eat moths if they aren't too large. Be sure if you are catching her food that you are not in an area that is being sprayed with pesticides of ANY kind. Otherwise you are better off ordering her food. There are sites from which you can order flies and etc. to feed her that you know are free from any chemicals or pesticides.

Welcome once again and good luck with her.

P.S. If you provide her with a stick to climb on in her enclosure, she just might lay an ooth (egg sack) for you. . . ;) Females do not have to have been fertilized to lay eggs. She will attach the sack to the stick that is in her enclosure. If she has already mated then you will have a batch of mixed nymphs hatch if you incubate it. If she has not been fertilized, then you will have a batch of clones hatch. I.e. the baby nymphs that hatch will be all females just like her.

Thanks for the great info. I have a colony of Dubias and trying to stark a silk worm colony also so I won't be doing much of catching her meals maybe a annoying fly or two that gets into the house will make a great meal. Thanks once again all for making me feel welcomed

Latest posts