New to the Site!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirNovak

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Ya'll can call me Novak or Sir, which ever you prefer.

I hail from New England.

I've recently rediscovered my love for Mantids.

When I was younger I used to catch them as pets out in the woods behind my house,

but over the last few years I haven't seen any around.

This summer I worked as a gardener and as a greenhouse-tender, and I stumbled across a few Chinese Mantids and instantly fell inlove with them again.

A raised a few this summer, and actually have two ooths right now, that I plan on hatching over the winter (1 I will release in the greenhouse when it's all sealed up for the winter to help deal with our pest problems there)

One of my main reasons I started breeding was geared toward organic pest control, I'm a botanist at heart and love plants, and I keep a large variety of plants growing all year round inside my house inside a "sunroom" like area, and this time of year I always end up with every plant pest in there.... mites, thrips, fungus gnats.... the list goes on.

So hopefully they can help me kill them off without using any pesticides which I hate to use as I grow completely organic.

Anyway, I feel I have rambled on,

Was just looking for a good community to chat and learn about mantids!

I want to diversify the types of mantids I have, as we can really only find the Chinese variety around here.

I'd really love to get my hands on an Orchid Mantis, or a Ghost Mantis.

Here are a few pictures of my summer mantids, they have all passed away at this point sadly.

Veg 10/12 by SirNovak, on Flickr

Mantis 9/28 by SirNovak, on Flickr

Mantis 9/13 by SirNovak, on Flickr

Mantis 9/13 by SirNovak, on Flickr

Mant ia 9/12 by SirNovak, on Flickr

overboard by SirNovak, on Flickr

mantis greenhouse by SirNovak, on Flickr

Mantis by SirNovak, on Flickr

Latest posts