New Washington fan

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deacon

Reaction score
My grandson, Chris, involved me at the end of the "class project" last May. It's a long story, but I have the only surviving Mantis from that fiasco. Convinced it would not live, I ordered a nymph on-line for him (he's nine.) Learning as we go, both mantids have survived (Chinese.) Deacon (m) and Spankie (f)---the class chose the names---were successfully paired last night, woo hoo, and are back in their own cages ogling each again!

I am hooked on those little triangle faces! I am stunned at how much time and money I spend on them and their meals!

Glad to see you posted, welcome
wave2.gif

It can get costly with all the visits to a pet store for feeders, that is for sure. Once you get a culture of feeders going though, it tends to sustain itself rather well, crickets or (as you are interested in) roaches too.

If your stuck on triangle faces look at my Egyptian Pygmy mantid (Miomantis paykullii) face below, they have a unique face. ;) Do you have any photos of your pets?

6-7-15-ooth15-5.jpg

Your Egyptian Pygmy mantis is cuter than cute. Sharply triangular face! Are those budwings?

A neighbor boy found a mantis in his garage at their ski cabin near here (1100' elev.) It still has its budwings but it is clearly a Mantis Religiosa (European) because it has that yellow eyespot surrounded by a black ring on the inside of its front leg (looked it up in Orin's big book.) I had no idea they are this far west (we are on Puget Sound, a couple of hours from the Pacific Ocean.) I have never seen a mantis in the wild except in Hawaii. And I was told today that a lady found a white mantis in her yard near where I live. I have lived here for 50 years and never dreamed they could be here. Guess I should be more observant.

I do have photos of my mantids on my IPhone. I tried to put one in my profile and only the name of the file appeared, not the photo. Maybe it doesn't like AOL, as I've found this problem before. Is there a simple way to add photos?

Nancy

Your Egyptian Pygmy mantis is cuter than cute. Sharply triangular face! Are those budwings?

A neighbor boy found a mantis in his garage at their ski cabin near here (1100' elev.) It still has its budwings but it is clearly a Mantis Religiosa (European) because it has that yellow eyespot surrounded by a black ring on the inside of its front leg (looked it up in Orin's big book.) I had no idea they are this far west (we are on Puget Sound, a couple of hours from the Pacific Ocean.) I have never seen a mantis in the wild except in Hawaii. And I was told today that a lady found a white mantis in her yard near where I live. I have lived here for 50 years and never dreamed they could be here. Guess I should be more observant.

I do have photos of my mantids on my IPhone. I tried to put one in my profile and only the name of the file appeared, not the photo. Maybe it doesn't like AOL, as I've found this problem before. Is there a simple way to add photos?

Nancy
Thanks, yeah that species has the most triangular shape I've had yet. Indeed those were her wing buds (budwings is actually a mantid species itself - Parasphendale Sp. ;) ), and she molted to a adult awhile back taking on a lime green shade. Currently she is getting ready to lay a infertile ooth, haven't got a male for her.

Sounds rather interesting being that high up, and close to the ocean. I have to admit I occasionally seen one before I started the mantid hobby, but since I've seen them everywhere. :D Once you keep them for awhile you'll be able to pick out their shapes in nearby plants/bushes/trees like they have a sign on them lol.

For a iPhone you can use your cable and transfer the photos to your computer and upload to PhotoBucket - or simply get the Photobucket app and upload straight from your phone. Once the photos are there, just copy the direct share link from the page and paste it into the Image button on a post. I did a image guide with text (see below) once, but should do a better one. Or better yet view the original here so you can see the text properly. ;)

post-image-howto.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the photo info. I haven't had time to follow your descriptive directions yet but it will happen. I just came in from 2 1/2 hours in the cold with my lights and sheet thing and just like the last two nights, I've only caught 7 moths. The mantids are eating them all over night. I really appreciate your help. Nancy

Thank you for the photo info. I haven't had time to follow your descriptive directions yet but it will happen. I just came in from 2 1/2 hours in the cold with my lights and sheet thing and just like the last two nights, I've only caught 7 moths. The mantids are eating them all over night. I really appreciate your help. Nancy
Your welcome, I hope it allows you to share some photos.

Glad to hear you are having some success with the moths. Most people say if they get it setup and have the lights on around sunset for 2-3 hours afterwards that is the best time to get as many moths as you need. Also what light are you using? You could also try switching it to a black light, as it is said to draw them in better too - and is a much cheaper option than the mercury vapor and such other bulbs recommended.