new way to tell when mantis is going to moult !

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13ollox

Reaction score
apart from the usual lazyness , not eaten and the shakes they do , ive noticed that the top of the abdomen looks crinkled like an old persons skin. have any of you guys noticed this as well . ive noticed this on many occasions and this has never proved me wrong .

Neil

I've noticed that and also the part where all their back legs attach to the body gets swollen.

wing buds 'lift up' and get fatter, and thorax looks fuller, and abdomen bobs back and forth, much more than usual. why do they do that; is it to suck in air into some sort of air sack to help them to push out of the skin? The abdomen is definitely bloated with air just after they moult. whatever the reason, they seem to do it with greater intensity as they get nearer to moult. this is in my heirodulas at least.

my idolomantis, just before they moulted (always upside down) used to wave the front legs as if they were reaching down to feel if there was enough room to moult. maybe cos they have very short antennae. both kinds seem to 'pull' on the hind claws without releasing grip, immediately before moulting like they are testing if they are gripping ok. they also seem to shift their legs into a special moulting posture.

Ive always thought that the abdomen seems to look slightly elongated or stretched compared to normal. That is in the species with normal roundish shape abdomens where is easier to tell. i always give them a good misting when i notice that (and if they are species that need it).

Latest posts