newbie wants mantises for small veg garden

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1laguy

Reaction score
I'm a gardening and mantis newbie..I have about 8 new plants going now (tomatoes, peppers, berries, herbs), and would like to get some mantises to stand guard against pests.

any suggestions on which type of mantis to get, how many to get, and how to make sure they stay put and have enough food?

Alright, then that limits you to native species only. You're best bet is to go to a place like Home Depot or a nursery and get one of the ootheca that they sell for pest control. Hatch it out onto your plants and with any luck one or two might stick around until they mature. There's really no way to keep them from wandering off.

You can get two for ~$7 at most places around here. Personally, I wouldn't bother with Ebay unless you wanted to buy them in bulk.

eh I'm in Dodge City, KS...small town, no home depot. I'll look at Ace hardware tomorrow...you think I need to find a species native to kansas?

It would be illegal to introduce a non-native species, and could get you a hefty fine and cause even more problems with the hobby. A local species would be best.

If Ace doesn't have it, I'm sure you've got to have a nursery or something around that ought to have them.

Or if it comes down to it, take Cham's advice and order off of Ebay.

Tenodera (Chinese Mantis) is probably the only one you're going to find, but you may come across some Stagmomantis as well. Both species are fine.

i ordered 3 chinese mantis ooths off ebay ... sons teacher wanted some for her garden. i kept 1 ooth (it was a 3 pack oder) for about 5$ ..... the ooth i kept did hatch just yesterday ... i will check to see if her's did also .... you can get chinese ooths that hatch off ebay, at least i did ;- )

can I introduce ladybugs and mantises at the same time to control garden pests or will the mantises eat the ladies?

The ladybugs might eat some of the baby mantids, but larger mantids will probably eat ladybugs and anything else that moves.

Something to consider is the number of plants and pest species in your area.

I've got no idea about your native bugs but her in the UK you won't get any insects eating tomato plants because they are poisonous. The other plants you mentioned only tend to attract aphids so ladybirds would be better than mantids.

If you're only growing one or 2 of each plant then the mantis won't get much each to eat and may starve/eat each other.

HTH

Huw

There's definitely stuff here in the US that will eat his tomato plants. Whether any mantids will actually stick around or not, that's why I said to hatch an ooth or two out there.

Yeah, we get tomato and tobacco horn worms (sphinx moths) in our tomatoes here in the US.....However you're gonna need one heft mandit to eat one of THOSE! They're HUGE.

Latest posts