Newbie!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaManda

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am Amanda, an elementary nature science teacher and a wanna-be entomologist :) in Southwest Washington state. (Near Oregon border) I have always been fascinated by mantids, but never came across them in the wild where I have lived despite my intense explorations.

We have a large open grass field across the street from our new house where my children spend hours and hours with nets and buckets collecting insects and frogs. They have now brought home 3 European mantises, (or I believe them to be, anyway) which have been given a tall 7 gallon aquarium of their own next to my Pacific Chorus frogs and Garter snake terrariums. Currently all 3 mantises are in the same cage. We've been keeping 2 together in the cage for the previous 2 weeks, and they seem to get along great. Today, we added the 3rd, and seem to be having some problems.

So, since I see all the knowledge everyone here has on the species, I have a few questions. But first, a little history:

The first 2 we found appear to be nymphs (no wings) and female. (6 segments, if I am counting right, from the bottom of the abdomen to the last set of legs.) Our new guy appears to be just that - a guy - and an adult. He has long wings and flies. Both my females have been great eaters. We feed them grasshoppers and craneflies that my children collect from the same field that the mantises were found in. No spray. I WAS misting them daily, but a small amount of standing moisture was accumulating on the bottom of the tank, and one of the females seemed to get caught in it, so I placed a paper towel on the bottom of the tank, and have been misting every other day.

When we introduced the male, the females began arching their abdomens and appear to be quite aggressive to the male, who keeps trying to approach them, especially when they are eating. He has made them drop their lunch a few times and had a little "slap fight" with one of the females. I thought since the females were still nymphs, that he wouldn't try anything...

So on to my questions...

1) Should I be separating the male from the girls? Is there a possibility of a fatality?

2) Am I right that the females cannot mate until they are adults?

3) Are they in the right sized terrarium?

4) Is there anything I am doing that I shouldn't and vise versa?

5) How many molts do Europeans go through, and how can I tell how old my nymphs are?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read/answer. I have pictures of all 3 if that would be helpful.

Welcome!

1) Keep 'em separated. Most species will eat each other

2) Yes, no mating until adulthood. Their sexual organs aren't mature and fully formed until they're adults

3) It's all about height of the aquarium. They need a height of 3 times the mantises length to molt properly. You may need something taller or to turn the tank upwards and convert it somehow.

4) Sounds like you're doing everything right. The paper towel is spot on. I have begun to prefer paper towels to hold humidity more than substrate. you can mist once a day so long as there's not standing water. I've lost nymphs to puddles before. :(

5) I'm not sure about how many molts they go through. The best way to tell how old they are is experience! :lol: If you see little tiny wing beginnings know as wing buds, they are subadult with one more molt until they're adult. Full wings, as you've indicated you know, are adult. Other than that, it's difficult to know. A gauge of their size currently versus what an adult size is might help a little.
blink.gif

I hope some of that was somewhat helpful! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Laura!

The tank is a tall glass Exo Terra, so they have plenty of room to molt. Yay!

Both the females have 2 tiny wing buds, and look almost as big as the male, just a little plumper, so I suppose I'll assume they are subadult and have one more molt before adulthood.

Hi Amanda and welcome to the Forum. I agree with LG, she knows her stuff. There are quite a few Mantidforum members here in the Pacific Northwest and all very friendly, informative, and helpful.

-Kevin

Thank you Laura!

The tank is a tall glass Exo Terra, so they have plenty of room to molt. Yay!

Both the females have 2 tiny wing buds, and look almost as big as the male, just a little plumper, so I suppose I'll assume they are subadult and have one more molt before adulthood.
Sounds like you'll have some beautiful ladies soon enough! The females should be larger than the males, if not longer at least more plump. My Carolinas kind of push that one, because my 2 males are larger than my females! :lol:

Yes, it does look as though that will be the case.

One other thing - I just realized I may have misread your comment about keeping them separate. Is it okay to have males together and females together? Or should each mantis be in its own enclosure?

Yes, it does look as though that will be the case.

One other thing - I just realized I may have misread your comment about keeping them separate. Is it okay to have males together and females together? Or should each mantis be in its own enclosure?
Well, they're cannibalistic by nature. It seems to be more prevalent between opposite sexes. I keep all of mine separate except for my ghosts and soon to be gongys because they're communal. I would be hesitant to have 2 adult females in the same enclosure though

welcome, u r doing good with them, I do keep my males with males and females with females, but that's because I have enough if one gets eaten, religiosa are not bad for eating each other until adult, but to be safe, it is always good to separate with some screen if space is sparse. ;) and the moisture may accumulate if spraying to much and the ventilation is not that good, so as u r doing is fine.

Welcome to the forum! :)

You should definitely seperate them. Europeans are very canibalistic. In time, your 3 mantids will soon be 1!

Latest posts