Newest addition to my insect family

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captnsarah

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I received my two newest additions to my insect family (that is growing fast!) and they are a Phyllium monteithi (Leaf insect) and a Archimantis monstrous (Monster Mantis) and OMG I'm so excited (I know this is a Mantid forum, but I'm so excited about the leaf insect too, so if it's not okay to be posting about it here too, sorry!)!

I've always loved the phylliums and have always wanted one, so when I saw that they were on special on Minibeatwildlife I just had to get one
smile.png
(Now I just need a male next payday...) and my growing love of Mantis led me to buying another one
smile.png
(This won't be the end of me adding to my mantis family too... he he!)
The phyllium is named Astrid, but I do not have a name for my Monster mantis as of yet!

I didn't take many photos as I just wanted to get them into their new enclosures ASAP.

IMG_8687.jpg

IMG_8689.jpg

It is not Archimantis latistyla because this species has smooth pronotum edge. The species you have is either A. armata or A. monstrosa. Following is the key for identifying Archimantis sp. I have more description of each species Captnsarah. If you need more info let me know.

Archimantiskey_001_zpsb4790829.png

I haven't been on the forum for a long time, not sure if i still remember how to upload png file, so the pic may not clear.

Yeah I cannot be sure, I'm more certain he has to be A. monstrous if that's what he was sold as, but you never know I guess :p

If it helps I took these two photos today.

He's a 5th instar and he is about 9cm from head to tail (not including his legs).

IMG_8732.jpg

IMG_8733.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Yen-Saw. And thank you Captnsarah for the good pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts