Nigerian Flower molted today

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakegrove

Reaction score
Hi my nigerian flower mantis molted today, im a newbie and was wondering is it now a adult? Can anyone tell me if it is a male or female? i tried to get pics of underbelly but it is very hard. thank for any help... :D

img_4769.jpg

img_4773.jpg

Yep, adult female it does appear to be. Once they have wings they are adult.

Hi Louis, glad to see she matured into adult for you, good job!

One easy way to identify the gender for this species lies on the wing. Female always have two visible yellow "dot" with black ring while male has none of it.

Female

BetaCM2.jpg

Male

amale4.jpg

It is not easy to identify gender through antenna length but the abodomen for female is significantly wider than male, this can be observed even before they are adult. When adult, the abdomen is visible from dorsal view (female) while the abdomen is fully covered up by its wing for male.

apair2.jpg

Both male and female reach to about 3-4 cm.

hey yen, thanks that is a easy way to tell male from female now lets see if i can get a male now :)

ok i had another nigerian molt last night but.... as you can see it didnt go so well, the wings didnt form right, my question is, is it a adult?? Will it be able to mate? Male or Female? It looks alert and can move around well, should i just cut the flaps off where the wings were supposed to be? Is there any hope in this nigerian? thanks...

Lou

img_4785.jpg

img_4784.jpg

Hi Louis, that's too bad :( looks like a female with deformed wing. I guess she could still mate if the male is not picky, but adult male is likely to avoid her.

Latest posts