No food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mvalenz

Reaction score
Well, I have a bunch of budwings that hatched about 6 days ago. Petco was out of FF's so i ordered a culture. When i got it today all the FF's were dead. They already are eating each other. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of doing the ultimate taboo and letting them go. It is summer and they will not interbreed with any other species and they will not live past fall. This way they will have a fighting chance for food. What do you guys think?

You could put them out on flowers so they can feed themselves while you get some food. Then bring them back in.

I have done this with my chinese. Of course they are naturalized so not much harm. I have them in my own garden.

I would not let them go. I would not even think about it haha. Leaving fruit outside should bring many fruit flies in less than a day. Use bananas if you can.

Yeah please don't release non indigineous specie! Lol we don't want another Florida :lol: your best bet is really really ripe bananas....leave them outside in a 32oz deli cup... (put a small hole on the bottom to drain the liquid that will collect from the bananas so the ff don't drown) and then after a couple of hours in a shady spot sneak up slowly and then quickly put a fabric lid on and catch the ffs ;)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Andrew

I get far more ff with peaches than bananas. Their smell is stronger. It fills my apartment and makes it smell sooo yummy! Ff come running.

Some Petco's have Springtails.

You could also catch some mini moths by just passing a butterfly net, like those cheap one at the dollars store, over the tall grass. Best if done in early morning or late afternoons, lots of other mini bugs will be caught this way.

Best luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts