Non-hungry mantid, getting worried...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would of put her down to if she is as you described. Mantids rarely fall during moulting so I wouldn't worry about it. If you want you could get some kind of mesh to put onto the lid of your enclosure for extra grip. I've only had a couple mantids fall during a molt and they were hanging on the same type of surface all the other mantids molted from. Sometimes it just happens. They usually die or get really messed up if you don't see them right away.

Yeah, to tell you the truth, it's kinda depressing, if i could just keep my @$$ awake during this kinda stuff, i feel so bad, like it's my fault. I actually have her in an Exo-terra mesh Explorarium(expensive, just 18"x12" was $36.50 USD!), i'm pretty sure she had enough to grip, but i feel bad because i was worried she wouldn't make it out if she was only pointing down, i figured she needed to be upside down so gravity would work for her, so i took he off the hanging vine(about halfway down, plus there are tropical "trees" under her to break her fall, but as a worried lil kid i had to take her off her chosen spot) and put her on the ceiling but she still moved to the side, at the very top, and now shes gone :cry:

Best advice is to leave them be. I've seen mantids molt while standing on the bottom of the cage. Also disturbing them close to a molt isn't good.

Best advice is to leave them be. I've seen mantids molt while standing on the bottom of the cage. Also disturbing them close to a molt isn't good.
really? that's interesting. i thought all mantids molt hanging upside down, besides the ground species of course.

moulting while stood on the floor? thats the first time i have heard anyone mention that

dont feel too bad herp as rick said its not too common but it does happen i've had 7 mantids and 2 of them fell although one was in transit on its way to me which when it arrived i had to end it as it had no movement but was alive, and the other ended with damage arms but i hand fed her as her legs were fine so i knew she could still grip therefore could attempt her next moult

she got to adulthood one arm was almost right she could hold prey the other arm never really improved

sorry to hear what happend !!! especially when its yor 1st mantis , i know from experiance as my 1st decided to fall during her last moult ! . sometimes we can forget that there only insects .. they dont need fancy stuff like a whole 18 inch explorarium . if you bought one of them for every mantis youd be in serious debt ! :lol: . i keep mine in small/medium exo terra plastic faunariums . bit of vermiculite at teh bottom and some fake leaves bluetackked to the side make it practical for feeding and moulting plus there cheap while looking good as well .

that explorarium sounds like the perfect thing for a colony of ghosts !!!! or a mating tank ! :wink:

good luck in your next attempt !

Neil

Latest posts