Non-Mantis related hobbies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i rear leps and amphibians and i love growing plants, particularly orchids. i also love baking, playing with dogs, watching vulgar or horror shows/movies (shameless, criminal minds, any outbreak movie, law and order, american dad, south park, paradise pd, etc), and plant tissue culture

@RickCool. can you show a dino fossil too?
Sure. Here is a Tyranosaurid tooth. Exact species is unknown as it is still unclear which theropod dinosaurs lived on the east coast. 

2.JPG

I've been trying to get back into working on my art more. One of my hobbies is making characters out of champagne corks. I started an Instagram to showcase my work. Click this LINK to see some of my characters

I love caring for other invertebrates, fishing, and origami. My personal favorite fish to catch are green sunfish and bass(duh). Green sunfish will go for literally almost anything while bass are really just fun to catch in general and always rewarding when you reel a big one in. Origami’s awesome and also involves a lot of thought, especially the more complex models. I’m currently trying to find out how to fold Robert J. Lang’s scorpion; I bought one of his books but it’s insanely difficult. 

I love caring for other invertebrates, fishing, and origami. My personal favorite fish to catch are green sunfish and bass(duh). Green sunfish will go for literally almost anything while bass are really just fun to catch in general and always rewarding when you reel a big one in. Origami’s awesome and also involves a lot of thought, especially the more complex models. I’m currently trying to find out how to fold Robert J. Lang’s scorpion; I bought one of his books but it’s insanely difficult. 
I do origami, too! Or rather, I was really into it about 10-15 years ago! If you get stuck on a particularly difficult model, I find it helps to take a break and come back to it. Some of Robert Lang's models are crazy complicated. It is so rewarding when you get it right

I grow plants, namely, orchid plants. I'd say plants are my main hobby and mantises are only secondary. A couple years back, things were completely the opposite. I guess it's because life is busier now and plants require less time and care than mantises. Not to say I don't love my bug babies 😍!

I always wanted to grow orchids, but I keep losing them 😢 

I used to grow carnivorous plants, but I made the mistake of ignoring them after getting into mantids, and California summer took them away. I might get some more this year though. I also like drawing. I used to only draw animals, but now I can only draw people (poorly! 😆)

My favorite thing to do is wildlife photographing. I spent a lot of time walking in the woods and sitting in a blind waiting for critters. I also enjoy traveling. I’ll be going back to some of my favorite places this year...Theodore Roosevelt National  Park, Rocky Mountain National park, and Grand Teton National Park. 

At the moment I have two Asian box turtles and five rabbits. I kept mantids for seven years but don’t have any right now and am back to keeping butterflies and moths. 

My favorite thing to do is wildlife photographing. I spent a lot of time walking in the woods and sitting in a blind waiting for critters. 
Post some of the pics you have taken! I have seen some of your photographs, and they are very good! 

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
I do origami, too! Or rather, I was really into it about 10-15 years ago! If you get stuck on a particularly difficult model, I find it helps to take a break and come back to it. Some of Robert Lang's models are crazy complicated. It is so rewarding when you get it right
It’s all fun and games until you’re halfway done with manuel sirgo’s stick insect when the thing just tears into two pieces. Manuel Sirgo makes really nice designs but for the insects he packs a lot of paper into their limbs and whatnot so you have to use a thin but very durable paper. I’ve tried tissue foil with horrible results but really thin tracing paper seems to work. Wet folding also helps but if you mess with the paper while it hasn’t dried yet, you’re just asking for disaster. 

Post some of the pics you have taken! I have seen some of your photographs, and they are very good! 

- MantisGirl13
There's this:

https://www.tammywolfephotography.com

@twolfe your photos are incredible. Your mantid photos, wow. That R. stalli photo. It looks so red. Are those what folk call "red devils"? How does one get that colour? 

Lighthouse photos are wild too! You must use a drone! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Non-mantis hobbies: raising reptiles and herping (seeking out wild reptiles and amphibians), growing carnivorous plants (and cataloging files of them all), sketch/paintings, fanfic writing, fishing, camping...also origami and other crafts when I feel like it (origami used to be all I did in school to help control my tic disorder while in class)....

Non-mantis hobbies: raising reptiles and herping (seeking out wild reptiles and amphibians), growing carnivorous plants (and cataloging files of them all), sketch/paintings, fanfic writing, fishing, camping...also origami and other crafts when I feel like it (origami used to be all I did in school to help control my tic disorder while in class)....
Where do you like to go camping? I love camping.

- MantisGirl13

Where do you like to go camping? I love camping.

- MantisGirl13
Just about anywhere, though preferably near some sort of water (rivers, lakes, etc.). Beyond that it doesn't matter much; I live by the mountains, on the plains, travel to further places occasionally (like Big Bend National Park)....

Just about anywhere, though preferably near some sort of water (rivers, lakes, etc.). Beyond that it doesn't matter much; I live by the mountains, on the plains, travel to further places occasionally (like Big Bend National Park)....
Cool! My family is going to Shenandoah National Park in two weeks. I am looking forward to hiking there.

- MantisGirl13

Nice, I am going to camp in the summer. I don't know where we are going yet. We prefer some lakes/ rivers nearby too because of our dog. He likes swimming and if it is warm he can cool down in the water.

Latest posts