Noob Questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
African mantids are very easy to keep. They live awhile too. I have some available.

Here's a couple of pix from tonight - I'm probably going to hang onto it for a while - Not really knowing what to buy for it to eat, I bought a tin of mealworms

DSC01577.jpg

DSC01574.jpg

Right now he's temporarily housed in a aquarium net quarantine thingy - Not permanent lodging mind you - It should suffice for a little while - It is about 6x his height and I've stuck a twig in it for him to hang from.

Mealworms are ok but they should not be primary diet. I buy crickets in bulk online and they are fairly cheap. Roaches work well too but are more expensive.

as are and as do locusts. also african mantids are well easy to keep. as are giant indian and marbled. chinese are a pain and constantly mismoult or do random things when moulting

looks like a subadult to me . also looks like he will shed pretty soon due to the size of his buds . you can always buy them fold away dog kennels . they are really cheap and work wonders when it comes to moulting , ive never had a fallen mantid in one of these . heres a link for example .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Popup-cages-for-Bu...1QQcmdZViewItem

also the crickets usually climb around the top instead of staying at the bottom , which is good for the mantis when its hunguary . but not when it's going to shed. so remove everything .

Sorry it's been so long between posts-

This mantis was found back in August and is still alive in captivity. In fact, she just laid her first ooth a couple days ago.

From what I've read/understand though, the eggs are likely infertile since she hasn't been mated - Is this this case?

I've read that some mantids may not need mating, but I don't think that Chinese Mantis falls into this category.

Thoughts?

Yankee

during the day (cause its probably getting cold) you could put her outside in a cage with fine mesh covering it so those stupid wasp won't get her...and maybe by chance her pharmones(sp?) will attract a male if its not too late cause its getting kinda late in the year for mantids....and if any mates do arrive breed them....or find a male...or buy a male...thats how I catch my males most of the time....

the eggs are likely infertile since she hasn't been mated - Is this this case?
yes it is infertile.

I've read that some mantids may not need mating, but I don't think that Chinese Mantis falls into this category.
As far as i know, Brunneria Borealis (Northern American Stick mantis) is the only species that can guarantee hatching without mating.

those stupid wasp won't get her
Wasp would probably prefer to stay away from an adult praying mantis. It is the parasiitc wasp that will lay eggs inside mantis ootheca not directly into the adult praying mantis.

Latest posts