Normal?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why wouldn't it be normal? Its really all your choice. If you want to feed them houseflies then go for it, unless its too inconvenient. I'd say throw a fly into one of the enclosures and see if they take interest in it.

Why wouldn't it be normal? Its really all your choice. If you want to feed them houseflies then go for it, unless its too inconvenient. I'd say throw a fly into one of the enclosures and see if they take interest in it.
The house flies here are kinda big. Bigger than my nymphs anyway. Yen (guy i bought it from) Was feeding HF at this stage i think... Yen?

If they are still too small for houseflies then just stick to fruit flies. Its perfectly normal for L2's to still be eating fruit flies. :p

Yeah the L2 in my culture can handle both D. Hydei and house fly no problem. I don't have to feed them too often with house fly. If you are worry about the fly size, you can ask Chuck to send smaller pupa which produced smaller house fly. I have both larger and smaller pupa from Chuck for different stages of mantis. One thing though, the hatching rate for smaller pupa is slightly lower than the normal size pupa. My L2 shield mantis which is smaller than L2 asian giant can handle the small house fly too.

Yeah the L2 in my culture can handle both D. Hydei and house fly no problem. I don't have to feed them too often with house fly. If you are worry about the fly size, you can ask Chuck to send smaller pupa which produced smaller house fly. I have both larger and smaller pupa from Chuck for different stages of mantis. One thing though, the hatching rate for smaller pupa is slightly lower than the normal size pupa. My L2 shield mantis which is smaller than L2 asian giant can handle the small house fly too.
My chinese took on houseflies at L2! :lol:
HF it is then! oh, other then seperating, are there any ways to prevent aggression to siblings? im keeping them in a 12" wide X 7" deep X 10" tall plastic conatiner and they are fed plenty of FF's (hydei).

Last edited by a moderator:
HF it is then! oh, other then seperating, are there any ways to prevent aggression to siblings? im keeping them in a 12" wide X 7" deep X 10" tall plastic conatiner and they are fed plenty of FF's (hydei).
Afriad no better way to stop cannibalism than separating them, you can lower the posibililty of cannibalism by having constant supply of food. As they wil pick on something small rather than a sibling that could fight back.

Latest posts