North American Biotope...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallace Grover

Reaction score
Hi all, I just have a few newbie questions to ask you.

I'm doing 2 side by side 20H vertical North American biotope vivariums. I know I want the Green Tree Frog (hyla cinerea) in one, but in the other I was thinking a mantid might be a good idea. (of course this was after I found out I dont want an anole because they need UVB light which cant go through glass)

Anyways, it will be set up much like a vivarium for frogs (sans the non-North american plants) with a drainage layer of hydroton, a substrate seperator, then a layer of vivarium soil mix from jungle box. The background will be great-stuff with coco fiber siliconed onto it, and there will be a few small branches. The whole back will be planted with pots that were embedded in the great stuff and, as the end product, it should be similar to this: (not mine btw)

So, I was wondering what North American native mantid would be suitable for this type of viv (if any). It's probably going to pretty humid, but the mantid will have lots of plants and climbing space...

I'd have to say that would be pretty cool for european mantids or chinese mantids, considering they need some humidity to molt. Though not sure how much. Desert species wouldn't work in that environment though. Oh, welcome to the forum.

Oh, I completely forgot (maybe I knew at some point, who knows) that the common mantids were introduced. Are carolina mantids (I think they're native) suitable for this habitat and common to the hobby?

Or are there any other nice showcase insects that might do well inside of this vivarium that are native?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Wallace! I realize this post was forever and a day ago, but I'm setting out on a journey to do the same thing! If you and your wisdom still frequent this site, how did you viv turn out? What species did you decide on? Thanks!

Hey Wallace! I realize this post was forever and a day ago, but I'm setting out on a journey to do the same thing! If you and your wisdom still frequent this site, how did you viv turn out? What species did you decide on? Thanks!
He has not been on the forum in over 6 years, as seen by hovering a mouse pointer over his user name. Sadly when people move on to other interests they never bother to respond after a few months, but I hope you get a response. ;)

He has not been on the forum in over 6 years, as seen by hovering a mouse pointer over his user name. Sadly when people move on to other interests they never bother to respond after a few months, but I hope you get a response. ;)
Thanks for the tip! Thought I'd give it a shot, didn't know about the hover the mouse trick though.

Thanks for the tip! Thought I'd give it a shot, didn't know about the hover the mouse trick though.
Your welcome, and I don't blame you. There has been a few times members were brought back into the hobby from such posts. :D

Latest posts