Not Laying! T^T

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutieCrawlersArt

Artist for Hire!
Reaction score
So my female Orchid has mated a few times now and she looked pretty chubby even when she hasn't eaten so I assume she's wanting to lay an ooth... but no matter where I put her, she isn't tempted to lay any ooths that I've seen. I have her usually in a large plastic tank with fake orchids, but every few days, I'll move her to a mesh net enclosure with a live orchid plant. Every other few days, I'll let her free roam on live, broad leafed plants and see if that tempts her (since I heard that's how they're prompted to lay).

Still nothing, its been a month or two now and I'm worried she's getting old. :c What am I doing wrong? Her enclosures are kept mildly humid until she's free roaming and she eats regularly. Temps are around 72-75 F.

I would increase temp to 90F, spray at least once a day with water, feed with flying insect such as bees or flies. No crickets or mealworms. Those are junk food for orchids. 

Whoops, was away from the computer all day. She's about 2 month into her adult stage.

Looks like I'll have to go and grab a heat lamp for her. > 3<

Egg bound? And I feed her a few flies almost every day. Sometimes a mealworm, but I guess I should cut back on those. 

Well we can't fix it if you dont answer. Sarah, how about yours?
Sorry!  ;)  One of my females molted to adulthood 2/26, the other 3/2. Mine generally get 10 blue bottles a day (unless they didn't finish all of them from the day before or I am waiting for fly pupae to hatch). I mist them in the morning and in the afternoon. Room stays from 72 to 85F degrees most of the time. 

I would increase temp to 90F, spray at least once a day with water, feed with flying insect such as bees or flies. No crickets or mealworms. Those are junk food for orchids. 
I did not realize orchids liked it that hot!  Thanks!

Raising the heat without doing it slowly will kill them. feeding them over 4 blue bottle flies a day is what will cause egg bound. I feed mine 3 a day and increase it to 5 just after laying. Then in a couple days, I reduce it again. Overfeeding anything, plants, animals, insects, people makes health problems. I've been doing this a long time, I would not lie to you.

Raising the heat without doing it slowly will kill them. feeding them over 4 blue bottle flies a day is what will cause egg bound. I feed mine 3 a day and increase it to 5 just after laying. Then in a couple days, I reduce it again. Overfeeding anything, plants, animals, insects, people makes health problems. I've been doing this a long time, I would not lie to you.
Thank you! I definitely trust you! :)  

Let us know if they lay! So the mantis history books know if the advice was good

Same, just fixed up her new home last weekend. :3 Light's got a dimmer so I'm slowly introducing higher temps to her.

2016-04-25%2022.53.14.jpg
2016-04-25%2022.52.56.jpg

Latest posts