novice mantid owner

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mescu

Reaction score
Hi everyone, since i started in this hobby i really loved it and i've been thinking in getting a violin mantis and/or a orchid mantis, how are they for novice mantid owner? :D

thanx and i expect your answer :p

Orchids are pretty easy to raise. Violins may prove to be a bit more difficult due to extra heat and space requirements.

I've had both. I would say that orchids are more difficult. I wouldn't really recommend either for a newbie though.

I think the orchids are easy to raise, harder to breed, but for a newbie, u can't beat the ghost....and if u do I'll take a shoe! haha, and beat u till your black and blue...
laugh.gif
sorry, couldn't help myself! Sometimes when u work with bugs all day and see just them and your hubby, well things just come out, know what I mean Vern? hahahahaha, hard day, just got done. sorry, once again I digress!

So where were we,? Oh yes, the ghost....boo! hahaha, not drunk, just silly. The ghost is far the easiest exotic mantis to raise, no extra heat, just feed, water and play with it!
tt2.gif
kinda like a plant, but not!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i've had ghosts, giant asians and mantis religiosa! thats why i want to take another step so please help me decide!

thanx mescu

I just got an orchid, and I love it. I took a few extra steps over the care I give my Chinese, but it's doing great under fairly same conditions and care. I can't speak for much else because I don't know what kind my other 2 are yet, but they're alive! lol

I would personally go with orchids. Less molting issues, they can live there whole life in a 32oz deli cup. Very easy to raise. Breeding can be difficult though. Violins were not difficult either, but i had to provide them with larger accomodations, and higher heat.

The humeralis, good luck and as I said earlier to Paul : if u find one, I come see you!
rolleyes.gif

The carolina is ok, but not as hardy as some others, u should start with one that is already well in culture, budwing a real beauty with teal green in with her browns, a shieid always strong and green, a african, like the lineola, centrallis and others, always fat and sassy, a ghost, usually surprising in color or one of the many others that are easy to start with.

Paul, thanks, was worried I had to come over!
laugh.gif

The humeralis, good luck and as I said earlier to Paul : if u find one, I come see you!
rolleyes.gif

Paul, thanks, was worried I had to come over!
laugh.gif
Oh, but i do have wide-arms my dear! I have 9 L4 nymphs. If all goes well, they will be back in culture here in the US soon! :)

wide-arms are not hard to raise, but a pain to breed. I would not recommend them for novices. Carolina's on the other hand make for a great beginner species. :)