Number of orchid molts?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis House

Reaction score
I recently bought a couple of orchids, and I’m wondering how many molts they have. I have a female that just molted to L6, and a male who molted to L4 earlier this week. I’m just wondering how many molts they have, so I can have an idea of when they’ll be close to adults. 

So so my question is how many molts do the male / female have?

I've always been told males only molt 5 times, which is in part why they mature so much more rapidly and end up so much smaller than the females. 

I've always been told males only molt 5 times, which is in part why they mature so much more rapidly and end up so much smaller than the females. 
I did find several sources that said male orchids molt 5 times but I just raised a male I bought at L4 and he molted twice to become an adult.

If I remember correctly, females have 2 extra molts than males. In my effort to slow down orchid males, I did notice that occasionally males skipped a molt and reached adulthood 1 molt early. As adults, they were smaller than normal.