Nymph Annoyance.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king_frog

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Giant Indian Mantid from www.exotic-pets.co.uk. It came in plenty of time, but it came as a nymph! I though I was purchasing an adult, so i had all the things ready to look after an adult. My local pet shop doesn't have a supply of fruit flies. And to buy them on the internet will take too long, as the mantid currently has no food. I have sprayed it with water and hope it keeps it alive. What should i do to feed it?

if u would of said sooner like yesterday i could os mailed u a pack allready hatched next day delvery..but its saturday tomorow so fasterst your get it is monday..where do u live..if u want to can drive to me i got a culture here u can have..its depneds where u live i guees,im about 1 hour from bristol..somerset its called..west country (yeovil) have u rang round every pet shop in your area?

Last edited by a moderator:
if u would of said sooner like yesterday i could os mailed u a pack allready hatched next day delvery..but its saturday tomorow so fasterst your get it is monday..where do u live..if u want to can drive to me i got a culture here u can have..its depneds where u live i guees,im about 1 hour from bristol..somerset its called..west country (yeovil) have u rang round every pet shop in your area?
Wow, drive there? Generosity! :)

Is it cold already in the UK? You can go outside to catch small leafhoppers, also giant Indians can tackle small crickets, unless of course this nymph is L2 or L1.

Wow, drive there? Generosity! :) Is it cold already in the UK? You can go outside to catch small leafhoppers, also giant Indians can tackle small crickets, unless of course this nymph is L2 or L1.
yes its freezing!no flys any where.or leaf hoppers.,i was thinking if your real desperate how about making chop suey from a cricket and feeding it him bit by bit..lmao :lol:

how u getting on..is it ok?

Well it doesn't seem to be interested in any food (not tried fruit flies), it doesnt want to even try a small cricket, or half a mealworm. It just walks away, could it be molting?

Well it doesn't seem to be interested in any food (not tried fruit flies), it doesnt want to even try a small cricket, or half a mealworm. It just walks away, could it be molting?
mayby>?can u get some pics?

try houseflies that are active things... mines can,t stop eat them :lol:

Perhaps, is the abdomen fat or skinny?

Try cutting a mealworm in half and sticking the guts up to its face if you haven't already, it might accept food that way.

yes, when mantids are to fat they dont want to eat, if its not, wait a few days to see if its about to moult
If the abdomen isn't fat, then they probably will not molt (like, paper thin abdomen). But there are some mantids who have a inbetweenish abdomen, and the abdomen never shrunk within three to four days. When you see this it means the mantis is going to molt soon.

If the abdomen isn't fat, then they probably will not molt (like, paper thin abdomen). But there are some mantids who have a inbetweenish abdomen, and the abdomen never shrunk within three to four days. When you see this it means the mantis is going to molt soon.
i dindt mean paper thin just a normal abdomen :p if mines about to molt i can see it: look at theabdomen and you'll see that it has a bit of dull colour, and they( finally) not move much anymore(mines are so active sometimes they drive me crazy :p )

It's not eaten since it has arrived, so i doubt it is too full. And yes iv tried putting food infront of it's face. I was wondering if it was molting.

Hi everyone, i'm the real owner of the mantis but I thought I had to recieve an email to register fully <_< . Anyway, IT JUST ATE (ZOMG)!!! I'm happy now that I know it can eat small crix and I'd like to say thanks to all of you guys for trying to help :lol:

Hi everyone, i'm the real owner of the mantis but I thought I had to recieve an email to register fully <_< . Anyway, IT JUST ATE (ZOMG)!!! I'm happy now that I know it can eat small crix and I'd like to say thanks to all of you guys for trying to help :lol:
-.- lol

Uhhh, i don't know who he is. I wouldn't tell such a lie <_< ...

Meh, Yeah it's his mantis. His lack of computing abilities are far less superior compared to mine.

Well, yeah, woo, it ate.

Yeah, my camera is too bad to take a visible pic of it <_< . Anyway, it is annoying me as it has absolutely terrible accuracy and constantly misses the crickets. It will take a lot of my time to keep it alive but i'll keep at it. :lol:

Latest posts