Nymph Escaped in House - Any Tips?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScienceGirl

Reaction score
My Mantis Religiosa nymph escaped through the feeder hole in his hunting cage. He's now loose inside the house. For now, I know what room he's in, but I haven't yet found him. Any searching tips?

For a start, I know that they like to climb to high points... But they also like to hang upside-down under flowers, so maybe they like hanging on the underside of shelving? Are they attracted to windows?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine usually end up on the ceiling. If there is a loose fly by the window mine will sit there. If it is possible, you can look for frass too, that may help. Good luck! I usually will find them sooner it later :)

What's strange is that he was in there - stalking grasshoppers, then getting whacked by jumping grasshoppers, then giving up and searching for a way out... His container was set to the side, and the next time I looked, he had vanished. The feeding hole is a rectangle - 2cmx1.5cm, but I never cut off the top part, so it works like a hinge. It was tiled inwards at about 25 degrees. So somehow he slipped out, but is nowhere to be found... UGH! :unsure: :no:

Remind me again how you all have confidence to let your mantids free-range on plants in the house?? :huh:

when ever that happens which i not often, i turn the light off and bust out a lil flash light, i usually see their lil shadow moving
I'll have to try that.

The problems are that:

1. It's a big room.
  2. There are many surfaces.
  3. There are many shelves and nooks and crannies.
  4. The nymph is only 1" long.

Remind me again how you all have confidence to let your mantids free-range on plants in the house?? :huh:
I only let well trained lazy mantises free roam. I've found most of mine will settle down if they find a good hang spot on say a plant. Some species however like Chinese mantises are like trying to herd cats. Thankfully however because they do move around so much that means even if you loose them they are sure to move and thus be fairly easy to spot. I find calling their names loudly like they are going to respond increases my chances of becoming a crazy mantis lady. Surely the crazier you are the more likely you are to think like a mantis and thus find them.

When I can't find Sweeny, my elderly shield male mantis, I frantically look around the room. When I find him( usually in plain sight) I swear he is laughing at me, watching me run around like a crazy person :p

It's morning, and he's still nowhere to be seen.

I tried the flashlight thing last night - didn't find him. I also cleared out the little cubby his cage was resting on, but he wasn't in there.

I set up a "beacon" to turn on at evening time when the room is dark. It's my tripod (camera equipment) with a bright headlamp or flashlight attached to it.

I was going to have it shining on the ground underneath the tripod, but since mantids like high places, should I shine it at the ceiling instead?

Did you ever find him??
No. :unsure: Checking the windows daily, and looking for him when I'm about the house. Hopefully he'll turn up, like a lost sheep, and then I'll throw a mantidforum party!!! :D

Not sure how my parents would take to me releasing house flies in their bedroom. :innocent:

I'm sorry you lost him. It's really sad when that happens. :( I just lost one outside yesterday. Luckily it was a native species. He'll probably turn up sooner or later! :)

I had a small griffin nymph jump out of my hand and I couldn't find him anywhere. About three days later I happen to see him on the stairs. He must have jumped on me and when I went out of the room jumped off. He was really hungry lol. Maybe your little nymph escaped the room somehow?

It's definitely possible he could have escaped the room. I've found mantids all over the place in my house. One time I lost a L4 mantis and later found him an adult! You'll probably find yours. Don't give up! :)

Latest posts