Nymph not eating?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galactic Lord Xenu

Reaction score
Well, I got two nymphs; I ordered 1 budwing from mantisplace and got 2, unfortunately one already died apparently due to a mis-molt (seemed to have came out pretty screwed up after molting) and thus I have one left. I'm pretty sure it was my fault--I probably jostled them around too much or didn't mist well enough or something.

So now I'm pretty afraid of the other dying too; I still haven't witnessed the other eating and I'm afraid if this one molts it might screw up too.

Am I just worrying too much or what? Obviously, this is my first time raising mantids so I'm a bit worried especially since I don't have money to order new mantids if this one dies.

Any tips for a beginner?

How often did you mist it? Is there enough room for it to molt, and does it have something to easily hang from? When did you get it? What are you trying to feed it?

You like most new people to this hobby worry WAY too much about this kind of stuff. Just feed and mist it every other day or so and it will be fine. They're insects, not dogs or cats so a few deaths are to be expected, especially with little nymphs.

How often did you mist it? Is there enough room for it to molt, and does it have something to easily hang from? When did you get it? What are you trying to feed it?
Fruitflies.

Should be enough molting room; the one left can hang to the top of the cage (saw a rather impressive jump from the raffa grass onto the ceiling, apparently it did a 180 upwards in midair).

Actually, thinking about it, the one that died had a broken leg and I have a suspicion that it might have been stupid and tried to molt in an area where there wasn't much room especially since it had mobility trouble. I've misted it every day because so far because it seems like there isn't enough humidity; when I get home I'll dampen the moss a little more (I think it might be too dry).

You like most new people to this hobby worry WAY too much about this kind of stuff. Just feed and mist it every other day or so and it will be fine. They're insects, not dogs or cats so a few deaths are to be expected, especially with little nymphs.
That's really what I wanted to know.

I've just never had much good luck with this sort of stuff, I guess, which is partly why I worry--and my biggest worry is price-wise because having my things die on me while young is a real discouragement because I'm not exactly rich.

My worry with the nymphs is mainly over the one I have seeming to be more afraid of its food than hungry over it. When a fruitfly comes by it seems to show either no interest in it or jumps away. It might've eaten when I've not been around, though. When I've kept wild mantids I've caught in the past they seemed to have a larger appetite. Is that normal?

Of course, but he is actually saying that young nymphs die often, for seemingly no reason, so good luck. Your conditions seem fine. Usually, nymphs become more stable L3 and up, the higher the instar, the less they will die from seemingly no reason. Which instar is yours at?

Edit: Oh, I went to matnisplace and saw it was L3/4/5. Anyways, good luck.

Latest posts