Nymphs arent able to get free from ooth. Help!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterfly

Reaction score
I noticed as my 2nd ooth was hatching that not many of the babies are making it off the strings.

They seem to be getting stuck and then just dry out and hang and die!

And if they make it some of them still have ooth stuff stuck to their back feet are they're either stuck together or have just one big clubfoot.

Is there anything I can do?

I tried giving them a bit of water since some had hatched 24 hours earlier and I knew they'd be thirsty.

This was the biggest ooth by that female and only about 5-7 babies have made it so far. :(

If you dont have something in the bottom to help with humidity this could be a problem (like MJ said)

If the container is small enough to put under a larger one you can use that to help hold in humidity since they are hatching now and might be hard to put a sponge or moss in the bottom.

I purchased a humidity/temp guage to help me try to maintain those, you might consider it if you plan to breed them and want high hatch rates.

IF you can corral the ones with stuff stuck to them you can try to hold onto the dead skin and let him pull out. I had one that i had to hold the skin then use a toothpick to push him out of it cause he was dragging it with 1 leg. I was worried the leg would not work since it was a week he had it on. I now cant tell which one it was that had this problem.

Latest posts