nymphs not molting?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nottheplanet

Reaction score
Hello all,

It has been about 18 days since my chinese nymphs hatched and none of them have molted. I don’t know if this is normal and I don’t know what to do. I’ve been misting them daily and they aren’t refusing food yet… is this normal? The internet said they’d molt within 9-15 day?

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep the humidity in the recommended zone and they will eventually molt. I've never heard of an entire batch all failing to molt, so it's unlikely to happen. 

One thing to keep in mind... Chinese are notorious for die offs, so don't panic if you do lose a few. It's highly unlikely you would lose the whole batch. I hope you plan to give an update on their progress.

Good luck! 🍀

This species needs good humidity too.

On a side note, I was shipping some today and one feel to the floor and before I could grab it a cellar spider grabbed it, I saved it, but not sure it will live.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he ends up being okay!! Spiders are so fast it’s scary lol

One of my nypmhs finally molted this morning!! I woke up and looked over at them and I was like OH! I actually want to cry i’m so relieved right now.

I wouldn't worry about it. Keep the humidity in the recommended zone and they will eventually molt. I've never heard of an entire batch all failing to molt, so it's unlikely to happen. 

One thing to keep in mind... Chinese are notorious for die offs, so don't panic if you do lose a few. It's highly unlikely you would lose the whole batch. I hope you plan to give an update on their progress.

Good luck! 🍀
thank you so much however i’m still having a lot of problems. only one successfully molted but he died two days later, he had eaten after his molt and everything. another one had a really bad mismolt and died. another one died before molting as well. currently i only have one living mantis and he hasn’t molted, he’s eating just fine (roughly 2/3 fruit flies every 2/3 days or so i’d say) and i’ve been misting him twice a day because it’s been very hot and dry out. i even tried switching him into a different enclosure with paper towels instead of moss and still no luck. i’m starting to wonder if i somehow missed him molting but he doesn’t look and bigger. i don’t know what to do :(

Latest posts