• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nymphs of several rare species available for trade, sale, or reservation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jseng

Reaction score
Happy Thursday, fellow mantis-philes!

Brighten your holiday season with some rare mantis species! I currently have a limited number of L2 nymphs that belong to a new Hierodula species from Luzon Island in the Phillipines. The nymphs currently range from rust-red to blue-green in color, but their mother was a lovely rose red, and I have been told that color is especially typical for (at least the females of this species) to become at maturity (though some are more pink than red), hence the common name Hierodula sp. " Luzon Island Rose". I should mention that these are NOT the more common pink Hierodula membranecea or pink "Golden" Hierodula venosa that you will see from time to time. In fact, this is an entirely new species to the hobby, and you can experience it for $12 per nymph, or 10+ for $10 each!!

Additionally, I had a hatch two weeks ago of Neodanuria bolauana, which is an African stick mimic that is supposed to be one of the longest mantis species in the hobby. This species reminds me of a cross between a Popa spurca and a Heterocheata orientalis. Not surprisingly, the Neo nymphs can be kept exactly like you keep 'cheata nymphs--they prefer their enclosure to be spacious (especially at later instars, bc they need lots of vertical space to molt properly), warm (80-85F daytime/75F night time), and on the drier side (though I still keep them pretty humid given the dry winter air that is typical in my part of the country right now); they go crazy for flying prey; and they are pretty darn communal (I've kept groups of 15-20 together in a net cage for most of their lives, though I do split up the guys and girls once they start to show significant sexual dimorphism). I also just had a hatch last week of Hestiasula sp. "Cameron Highlands" (likely H. major), which is an East Asian boxer mantis. These can basically be kept like any other boxer species (such as Acromantis japonica): they do fine at room temperature, they like high humidity, their over-sized raptorials allow these tiny mantids to eat surprisingly large prey for their size, and they too are pretty communal (they constantly signal other members of their species via funky arm-waving, which seems to prevent fights and cannibalism). My available Neodanuria and H. major nymphs are at L1 now, but they should be hitting L2, and thus be ready for shipping, in another week or two, so if you want to reserve some in the meantime (no payment needed until they are ready to ship, but they will also be $12 per nymph, or 10+ for $10 each), feel free to get in touch!

Finally, I just had a very small hatches of Galinthias amoena (an African species that looks like an extra fancy Creobroter) and Pachymantis bicingulata (an extra colorful SE Asian boxer species) which are two smaller sized, super rare, and spectacular looking mantids. I haven't decided whether I am just going to keep all the nymphs of these last two species to myself, but I am potentially open to trading them for other interesting species, so if you have something cool, feel free to PM me with an offer for these or any of the other mantids I mentioned in this ad!

TERMS OF SERVICE

I can ship as early as Monday, Dec 12. Given the extremely cold weather, I must insist that we use USPS express mail shipping, which will come out to $40. However, this extra cost is well worth it IMO, as it covers the price of an insulated box, as many 72-hour heat packs as the weather requires (I use the longer lasting heat packs in case your package gets delayed, which is not uncommon around Christmas time), and a Live Arrival Guarantee from me for the cost of any animals you purchase (though shipping costs are non-refundable, and the LAG is only valid if someone signs for your package on the first delivery attempt, and DOAs are reported to me within 24 hours of receipt). Given all the extra work and risk involved in winter shipping, not to mention that I am offering some pretty rare species and thus would prefer to sell them in breeding groups so we can establish them in the US hobby, I also have a minimal purchase requirement of $30, not including shipping costs. Finally, I give discounts (and always throw in freebies) on bulk orders, so feel free to get in touch if you want a large number of mantids, and I will be happy to try to work something out!!

Anyway, please feel free to get in touch with questions + hope all is well on your end regardless!!  :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts