Occasional shivers

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrenMT

Reaction score
Does anyone's mantis ever shiver for a second or so as if she's got the heeby jeebies or had an icecube on their back?

I'm not concerned mine is dying as she's been doing it since I got her I just wanted to know if it was normal behaviour.

I've definitely seen this behavior many times in all my mantids.  I've just classified it as a mantis thing. lol  I'm curious as to why they do it.  It might be like a defense behavior.  Like if they notice something is near, but not a real cause for display, a quick shiver can catch you off guard and possibly make you startled and back away.  I guess it would only startle if their striking arms could make a sound.  I don't know.  A bit of a stretch I know, but it's a thought. 

I'm just thinking about my mantis and I notice this during dusk or when it gets darker in the room.  I put her on my pothos plant and if I walk by the plant while she's on it, she will flutter her wings and it honestly startles me because I'm not expecting it.  So I just figured the rattling may ward off possible animals that are just in the way?  I don't know. lol

The sudden swaying shiver they do? I thought I heard somewhere that they did this because they see a big predator (You) and are trying to mimick the swaying of leaves/branches to blend in better. Sorta like how stick insects walk. No idea if that's actually correct, I mean my enclosures have nothing close to wind blowing through them. 

There are several different behaviors I could see someone classifying as a shive that are perfectly normal. If you are talking about when their body seems to shudder but they don't otherwise flatten out or move into a stressed out posture, I tend to consider that their version of a wake up stretch where they are likely warming up their body/refreshing the fluid in their limbs after a long period of inactivity (mantis version of sleep).

I tend to consider that their version of a wake up stretch where they are likely warming up their body/refreshing the fluid in their limbs after a long period of inactivity (mantis version of sleep).
Intresting theory. Maybe it is indeed like waking up. Thought I have read insects sleep too, but different than we do.

I saw my mantis did this throughout the day after he molted. And the day before he molted his whole head would spasm on occasion. Mandibles, antenna, and the head itself.

Latest posts