Odd Death

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorty

Reaction score
I recently had a P. paradoxa L3 nymph die unexpectedly after experiencing symptoms I have never seen before. At first, I thought it was going to molt as it had been refusing food (D. hydei) and was very stationary. It really didn't seem to be that uncommon; it looked like any other mantis that was about to molt. He was about due for a molt, too. The strange thing that's been happening for a few weeks now is that I've been finding this reddish colored liquid on the top of his enclosure wherever he decides to perch. I know it's coming from him because every time I open the lid to his container, I find more of the reddish colored discharge wherever he was sitting. Also, it seemed to be constantly increasing in frequency since I first realized that it had been happening. I didn't think much of it as he was still eating and molting just fine until I found him dead this morning.

That is generally mantis vomit. Sometimes I see it on the sides of the enclosures. Often seems caused by food but since you're feeding fruit flies that seems unlikely unless you feed the flies something strange. In my experience it clears up on its own.

Latest posts