Oddly Shaped Ghost Mantis Ooth

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCMantis

Reaction score
I recently ordered a ghost mantis, but instead I got a ghost mantis ooth. It is oddly shaped. Will it still hatch?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Just remember not to dry it out or make it moldy.

They look okay from what I can tell. It is two Ghost mantis oothecas stuck together.
I take that back. I am not sure I would be able to tell if a Ghost mantis ootheca was okay or not. Infertile oothecas can be unusual in shape, but I do not know if that is the case with Ghost mantises. The ootheca on the bottom of the photo looks a bit lumpy. But the one on top of the photo is more normal and smooth.

I take that back. I am not sure I would be able to tell if a Ghost mantis ootheca was okay or not. Infertile oothecas can be unusual in shape, but I do not know if that is the case with Ghost mantises. The ootheca on the bottom of the photo looks a bit lumpy. But the one on top of the photo is more normal and smooth.
Okay, if it is fertile it might hatch in a few days. We’ll see then.

Okay, if it is fertile it might hatch in a few days. We’ll see then.
Yes, as Hibiscusmile said, they were not fresh because they were brown in color. Fresh Ghost oothecae are green in color. So they should be ready to hatch soon if they were good. I have several Ghost oothecas hatching now. They don't take that long to hatch after they turn brown.

It is the first time for me raising and breeding Ghost mantises. It is a cool species! Not very hard to raise and breed.

Yes, as Hibiscusmile said, they were not fresh because they were brown in color. Fresh Ghost oothecae are green in color. So they should be ready to hatch soon if they were good. I have several Ghost oothecas hatching now. They don't take that long to hatch after they turn brown.

It is the first time for me raising and breeding Ghost mantises. It is a cool species! Not very hard to raise and breed.
Oh okay. How long do you think it would be after it turns brown? I got it January 25

Oh okay. How long do you think it would be after it turns brown? I got it January 25
if you got it January 25th, I'd assume it would be at least a week old, and these take 6-7 weeks to hatch, so it may be as late as March 15th before it hatches
the color change isn't the best indicator of very much because it's a chemical reaction, not a biological one

no, the ooth at that color should be hatching now. If you look closely at the picture the big ooth has the start of a fresh ooth on the bottom which would of been pulled off of whatever it was on. you can always send to me and I will tell you if it is old or not. Or you ca cut a 1/4" off and see if there are dried black nymphs in there and then u will know.

Yes, I agree with hibsicusmile that it is about time it should have hatched since you got it when the ootheca was brown color which means it was already older. Cooler temperatures might make oothecas take longer to hatch though.

Latest posts