Off season purchases

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwright

Reaction score
So my religiosa is an adult now, and a male, so I am only expecting a couple more months with him. My question is, is it fine purchasing mantids in the cold seasons? Shipping aside, are the nymphs themselves generally weaker and harder to care for because it's off season? I realize some mantids don't need a diapause, but still. I don't want this tank to sit here empty. It's too heavy to be a paper weight!

Also, does anyone else sometimes open their cages and just.....boop! gently on the claws or head of your mantis? 

I dont know why the nymphs would be weaker or anything... But I'm not very experienced in that area either.

Shipping is relatively safe in winter because of the heat packs the breeders include (cold packs in summer).. The heat packs generally stay warm for a few days.

Yes, it is fine. My first exotics were bought in January and it is COLD here then! They all arrived happy and alive. 

- MantisGirl13

I bought Cochise last december and she arrived fine. But it wasn't that very cold yet. But when it is cold breeders advise to take a heat pack too to keep them warm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts