Ok, so we're all into insects, is there any aquarium people here?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanteEdgar

Reaction score
We have mantids in common but do we share other hobbies as well? I have way too many hobbies and as a result, some of my hobbies ends up collecting dust on my shelf.

But one hobby that I find extra fun (and also the one that you can't just stow away) is aquariums. I have 3 tanks going today and I hope to get more soon. I find that shrimp are fun animals to keep in the aquarium because they look weird, fight over food pellets and they can be left alone for weeks without anyone looking after them. They will just eat algae and their poo until I come back...

One of my tanks are empty right now but that's because I am trying to get my hands on some pipefish. They are not common in the aquarium hobby and it makes them difficult to get hold of.

So what about the rest of you then? Do you have other hobbies than just bugs?

I have some planted tanks and am a shrimp breeder :)

120548.jpg

134833.jpg

Nice, you got Red Bee too. Maybe even some SSS quality if my eyes are working properly, am I right?

I am growing a bonzai tree right now too, and I have just finished a very simple aquascape in a nano tank on my desk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like panorama'ish tanks, too bad I don't have enough room for one of those. A 5-700 liter Aquastabil tank would be awesome, IDK what that is in gallons, maybe 300...? A gallon is roughly 2 litres, right?

I don't at the moment, but I've raised African cichlids, and after that had a community tank. I liked the cichlids a lot better than the community fish... not sure why aggressive animals tend to be more interesting, but it seems to be that way.

As far as other random hobbies, I garden (herbs and veggies mostly, although I'm doing some flowers), which was what got me interested in mantids. I also oil paint, and make chainmaille and wire jewelry, which has become less of a hobby and more of a job.

I also have a thing for laser pointers... Awesome when you point the beam into water (my empty tank) it lights up the whole thing. But then of course, my 1w blue laser is 200 times more powerful than regular red pointers you can buy everywhere :p

The blue light is perfect for night time light in the aquarium...

When I was younger I had several tanks with amazonian fish/ African cichlids. Right now my only other hobby is my car and decorating/improving my new house. I think I may grab a Western Hognose soon though, my buddy has me potentially convinced.

The Black Ghost fish is awesome. I just hope that I can get the african pipefish I am looking for, it is even more awesome.

Nice, you got Red Bee too. Maybe even some SSS quality if my eyes are working properly, am I right?

I am growing a bonzai tree right now too, and I have just finished a very simple aquascape in a nano tank on my desk.
Yeap I've been breeding them for about six years now. I love the look and the heritage of bonsai trees! I was thinking about getting a tattoo of one but I decided I'd give myself another year before I commit to it.

Wow! your tank is the most beautiful i have ever seen! if only my mantid tanks looked half as good!
Thanks! I hope to accomplish something similar for my mantid tanks..although it would be a waste since they're going to go straight to the top..haha

I don't at the moment, but I've raised African cichlids, and after that had a community tank. I liked the cichlids a lot better than the community fish... not sure why aggressive animals tend to be more interesting, but it seems to be that way.

As far as other random hobbies, I garden (herbs and veggies mostly, although I'm doing some flowers), which was what got me interested in mantids. I also oil paint, and make chainmaille and wire jewelry, which has become less of a hobby and more of a job.
I love cichlids too! I've been looking to get into that. Shell dwellers seem like the most fun

I use to have a lot of fish. I enjoyed the cichlids the most. They would move gravel and build homes under the big rocks. Then they would lay eggs and guard the nest. They were so cool. but now I am busy with school and work. Only have time for mantids.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fish tank. Nothing too exciting, just a white goldfish and some Mickey Mouse Platys. Besides bugs I'm into aircraft and cars. :)

We have mantids in common but do we share other hobbies as well? I have way too many hobbies and as a result, some of my hobbies ends up collecting dust on my shelf.

But one hobby that I find extra fun (and also the one that you can't just stow away) is aquariums. I have 3 tanks going today and I hope to get more soon. I find that shrimp are fun animals to keep in the aquarium because they look weird, fight over food pellets and they can be left alone for weeks without anyone looking after them. They will just eat algae and their poo until I come back...

One of my tanks are empty right now but that's because I am trying to get my hands on some pipefish. They are not common in the aquarium hobby and it makes them difficult to get hold of.

So what about the rest of you then? Do you have other hobbies than just bugs?
I've been building and painting military miniatures since I was 12, on and off. If I neglect them for a while, they don't die or try to escape but just wait to welcome me back. And for anyone who may confuse miniatures with (meep) toy soldiers, take a look at this:

http://www.pegasomodels.it/productdetails_en.asp?id=886#

Latest posts