Oligonicella scudderi

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat_named_noodles

Reaction score
Here's my tiny little Scudder's mantis, Oligonicella scudderi. Wish I could find her a male but I've never seen them in the hobby and they are so hard to find out here, being so small! She's a subadult (not sure but I think one more molt to go), and she molted two days ago.

DSCN3458.jpg

DSCN3456.jpg

DSCN3463.jpg

DSCN3475.jpg

Wish I could find her a male but I've never seen them in the hobby and they are so hard to find out here, being so small!
Let her do all the work finding a male? You could place her outside when she's calling and wait for males to show up?

I especially like the shorter antennae and the camouflage coloring next to the twigs.

Thanks for the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let her do all the work finding a male? You could place her outside when she's calling and wait for males to show up?

I especially like the shorter antennae and the camouflage coloring next to the twigs.

Thanks for the pics.
I think I'll give it a try when she's mature. Thanks rbird for the suggestion!

"Ecology

Male Oligonicella scudderi are sometimes caught in black light traps at night, and have been seen feeding on small flies, caddis flies and wasps. ... When disturbed they tend to hide in tussocks of little bluestem grass (Schizachyrium scoparium) where their colouration makes them difficult to spot.[3] They can best be caught by brushing a small-mesh net through the grass."

This Scudder's info. is from wikipedia, here's the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligonicella_scudderi

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts