On Royal Wings

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcarlton

Reaction score
Starting a new thread in case this branches out as a hobby too, but for now I just have one new temporary houseguest to share:

Cecropia moth by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I have no mates for this individual, as it was a free gift alongside some mantid ooths, but perhaps in the future. In any case it will make a phenomenal specimen.

And it's HUGE

With any luck, the 3 other species I have since acquired cocoons for (Luna, Polyphemus, and Promethea)  might just hatch out males and females, and perhaps if caterpillars result I hope I can find food, but if not it will be an interesting opportunity to see some other phenomenal species.

Confirmed the Cecropia is a female:

Cecropia eggs by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Additionally, I had set two cocoons aside from two of my other species in hopes that they'd hatch in time to show my lab students (sadly, they did not), and last night this beautiful Polyphemus female popped out! A good sign for the viability of the others still dormant in the basement....

Polyphemus moth (female) by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

This species actually turns out to be native (though not common) in my area too

Also, yes, those spots on the wing are in fact entirely see-through. Still membrane present but you can see straight through to my hand or the background

Confirmed the Cecropia is a female:

Cecropia eggs by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Additionally, I had set two cocoons aside from two of my other species in hopes that they'd hatch in time to show my lab students (sadly, they did not), and last night this beautiful Polyphemus female popped out! A good sign for the viability of the others still dormant in the basement....

This species actually turns out to be native (though not common) in my area too

Also, yes, those spots on the wing are in fact entirely see-through. Still membrane present but you can see straight through to my hand or the background

Do you have a mate for it? 

The cocoon she hatched out of was set aside for early hatching to show students of mine; while I have other cocoons, it was not my intent to try and get a mate for her.

However, another female hatched out recently in the basement, so my hand is being forced and all the cocoons have come upstairs. It's entirely possible (and I hope somewhat) that a male might hatch in time to mate with the latter.

Polyphemus eggs by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Also had a male Promethea hatch as well

Promethea male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

The Cecropias I think would be the biggest hit with people I've talked to around here, if you're willing at all to part with any. I have host plants for them currently too.

Nice! I have around 97 Cecropia cocoons to hatch. I will let a bunch of them go. 

So, turned out all 4 of the Polyphemus cocoons hatched female...sigh...

However, there was hope yet to be had elsewhere: first, this handsome fella hatched!

Luna moth male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And he is gorgeous. Even better though, two days after he popped out, I got lucky enough to be home, in my room, and awake when a female hatched out! Pics and videos of that process can be found on my IG account (carltoncarnivores), and as they've been both alive and together for at least a few days here's hoping the eggs the girl is now laying are fertile. If not, then here's hoping the final cocoon hatches out male in time to mate with her

And, just a short while after this beautiful girl also hatched out:

Polyphemus female by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

As you can see, when compared to a male as seen earlier in this thread, there's quite the color differences between the Promethea sexes. Two days after this girl hatched I also got a male, and while she hasn't laid many I think that means there's a good chance the eggs this female has so far deposited are fertile. If not, just today a 3rd male hatched just in time to replace the 2nd, so he should have the time to get the job done.

I have Promethea caterpillars! Pics at some point when I can get them...

Still hoping the Luna eggs are viable, but so far nada...

Latest posts