Once Bred, How long before Ooth?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moviemanmania

Reaction score
I was able to get my european mantids to breed last week and saw them separate and re-connect three times. I figured this was enough and then separated them back into their cages. How long before she starts laying her ooth? Her appetite was HUGE before she was bred and now she's hardly eating. Is this a sign that the ooth is on the way?

Right, so once she starts laying then she's really nearing the end of her life? How many times would you recommend I try to mate her?

Most mantis will lay several (3-10) ooths weeks apart, once adult they can live 3-6 months or even more, after a few ooths are laid remating isn't a bad Idea, but not really needed. My budwing was mated only once(ate the male) many months ago, but she has laid many fertile high nymph output ooths to date and is still going strong. :)

Most mantis will lay several (3-10) ooths weeks apart, once adult they can live 3-6 months or even more, after a few ooths are laid remating isn't a bad Idea, but not really needed. My budwing was mated only once(ate the male) many months ago, but she has laid many fertile high nymph output ooths to date and is still going strong. :)
Really?? I had no idea! I had always thought I'd have to re-mate them after each ooth is layed. So the eggs are continually fertilized even after just one mating?

Mind = blown

Really?? I had no idea! I had always thought I'd have to re-mate them after each ooth is layed. So the eggs are continually fertilized even after just one mating?

Mind = blown
That is true. One mating is good for 3-4 ooths (it varies). After that, you might want to consider mating them again.

Mind = blown
You don't need to remate for every ooth. If the female lays a large number of ooths you may start to see a reduction in the number of nymphs coming from later ooths. It won't hurt anything to remate during her adult life but it isn't absolutely needed.